Achin' for Akron/Cinecast

Boston has other interesting stuff. There's one part where the percussion and guard are building a tower climbing onto one another and the final guard guy on top holds two rifles up in the shape of a cross. So weird!

What they're attempting to form is a windmill, because the windmill is a central image from George Orwell's Animal Farm. There are some further windmill symbols during Boston's show, as their artistic director noted in a pre-performance interview. (Unfortunately, the human-windmill-tower feels (to me) a bit too much like Cavaliers' human pyramid last year.) At that point, I believe Boston is playing their ballad, "Boxer," named for the noble horse who collapses while working to build the windmill, and is sent by the pigs to be slaughtered. As Wikipedia says: he "serves as an allegory for the Russian working class who helped to oust the Tsar Nicholas and establish the Soviet Union, but were eventually betrayed by the Stalinists".

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

1. Bluecoats - wow. Pure effect, rather than attempts at "meaning" anything. If I were BD, Cadets, or Crown, I'd be concerned about this mother coming up from behind and mugging me starting in late July.

2. I feel like I've gotten everything out of Cadets show I'm ever going to get. They do it well - I'm just not that interested in "yes we can, we're Americans, d___mit." We can't fix basic elements of governing the country these days, so maybe I'm just not in the mood for optimistic bromides about how good we are at things, especially when other nations kick our nutsacks on every major front except for homicides, bankruptcies, and obesity. Nuff said.

3. Crown. The show has no shape. Cool effects, and a much improved percussion section, but I find myself checking the watch 5 or 6 minutes into it. 16th note ensemble horn licks for their own sake don't interest me anymore than Sun Ra's music interests me.

4. PR. I've seen this show from them before. Many times.

5. Cavaliers. MUCH improved in every facet. According to the recaps, they tied Bluecoats for first in Percussion, yes? Uniform changeback is appreciated. They'll be battling it out with Santa Clara for the 5 spot, make book on it.

6. Scouts. Love the organization, wanted to like the show. Choppy, boppy, and not marched well. The trombone ensemble in the Kenton piece is buried under the pit writing.

7. Boston. Some interesting things going on. If they can clean it, they'll have a succes d'estime that people will look back on fondly as having pushed some envelopes. That's not a bad thing, necessarily.

Overall, this is the strongest opening to a season I can ever recall. Every single corps I've seen has something to bring to the table, and the level of preparedness tonight was impressive.

Lastly, Tom Blair or someone on the production staff; get those pleated front khakis away from Rondo, and put him in some pants made in this century.

and to all a good night.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

I had no plans to go to any theater events but found myself in the Twin Peaks parking lot after a boring business dinner. I made the walk of shame to the theater that was showing the replay tonight. I am convinced that I may truly be done with drum corps now. I found every corps (including my beloved Scouts) to be thoroughly underwhelming. ######.

Wow... I thought I was having a bad night. Cheepers... that really stinks man.

My theater didn't show anything of Regiment past the first three minutes of the show and none of Cadets. We went from Bluecoats straight into scores. I got a message from someone in Orlando that their theater didn't show Boston, Crown and the beginning of Bluecoats. Someone else informed me that their theater didn't show Scouts and showed only half of Cavaliers.

I am extremely disappointed tonight. The transmission started going wonky about halfway through the Scouts. It then skipped immediately to several minutes into Phantom's program ( I'm guessing the time because they weren't yet in the black uniforms). Then it skipped to the end of Phantom's show. We never saw Boston, and the whole thing was over by 8:00. Ridiculous!

I've sent a complaint to Fathom Events. The theater says they just showed what they got.

This was not a live event, so I don't understand why there were problems.

Very disappointed.

Holy heck, can't believe the Cadets are that polished already at this point of the season. Utterly traditional Cadets gone Copeland all Americana in here! And it's a great show. Yes, I have my doubts too, like others on here, that they may potentially peak a bit too early, but it certainly has the components to be a winner. The flow of the show from start to finish is absolutely flawless, a something that I really didn't see in any of the other corps besides the Coats.

Good to see Phantom looking so clean this early on; I dig the transition to the uniform change, but ultimately, sadly, what a rather boring show. The opener is entirely forgettable. But they have plenty of time to embellish the show.

I really, really, really, really hope Boston can clean the hell out of and execute the hell out of that show, cause I think that has soooooo much potential. I love that they are pushing and challenging themselves so much; this voice of theirs could be mighty impressive and a memorable show if they pull it off.

dear Madison: Good to see you back to some of your roots. Love the classy dress white uniforms, really, they look great. But for the love of your show and for the benefit of we the audience, please just do away with all of the leg choreography. Some corps do it very well, despite the fact that it is often over-indulged to the point of being hyperbolic (if that is even possible in such a context); it is always distracting. Yes, I know it is early in the season and it will potentially clean up, but it is incredibly distracting to your show. And not something that Madison is known for. Just clean up the drill and play the hell out of that book which could and should be a fan favorite.

• Like 1

The two shows I want to see again

Bluecoats - !! Wow !!! Hymn to Axiom is an instant classic!!

Boston - I would not call this dark I would call it edgy!! Interesting show with some great arrangements and moments. This show will make some noise before the summer is over.

Cavaliers- Another step in the right direction, design wise. I think it will take a few years to get back to the top. The brass is sounding better than in years past, definitely louder at least. And hey! A guard uniform from the Cavies I actually like!? WHAT?!

Scouts- It was not as impressive as I wanted it to be. Maybe I hyped it up too much in my mind. The arrangements were nice, as was the battery. I was not digging the visual design. Double time <8/5 steps the whole show is not as impressive as their designer thought it would be. Kinda looks like a lot of shuffling around.

Boston- I don't know if I buy into the design, but maybe after a few times watching it I will. Boy does their brass sound good! It is the best I have heard the sound for anytime of the year, let alone this early.

Phantom- I am not sure why this show seems to be such a mixed bag among posters. They sound great, the drill is great, they have improved overall since last year. It does leave you feeling like you want something more. And those uniforms still look bad to me. Especially the all black. I totally understand how it plays into the design with the black vs. white theme. I just don't understand why it couldn't have just been a classic PR black uniform? There are no excuses for that helmet... just awful.

Cadets-Wow, just wow. I saw them live at Ben Davis. There is a strong possibility that they will be the loudest corps this season. You can tell the kids really buy into this show as well. For those of you knocking the stage and narration before you see the show live, just stop.

Crown- Impressive brass... of course. But it's not hard to see where Cadets might beat them. As for the design, I'm not buying it. Too much if you ask me. I wasn't impressed with where they might be heading with last years design, and my fears came true. I came to love BD for these designs because that is who they became. I really wanted Crown to continue with elite status with a different formula that made us fall in love with them. They have truly abandoned that, and are trying to be better at being BD, than BD is. It's a shame.

Bluecoats- BLOOOOOOOOOOOO! Holy mother of.... ! Ask anyone that knows me, I am not a Bloo fan. Then last year happened... THEN THIS YEAR HAPPENED!!!! My favorite show I have seen this season hands down. Not just my favorite, but the kids are achieving at a high level for sure. They should have been scored miles closer to Crown. You will see them on the podium come August.

• Like 2

I combined my thoughts from the theater and posted them over on the review forum for anyone interested. Fun show and well produced by DCI. Sorry to hear that some theaters had video that crapped out. Yuck!

I am extremely disappointed tonight. The transmission started going wonky about halfway through the Scouts. It then skipped immediately to several minutes into Phantom's program ( I'm guessing the time because they weren't yet in the black uniforms). Then it skipped to the end of Phantom's show. We never saw Boston, and the whole thing was over by 8:00. Ridiculous!

I've sent a complaint to Fathom Events. The theater says they just showed what they got.

This was not a live event, so I don't understand why there were problems.

Very disappointed.

This sounds odd for a taped event. I did not have any sound or video issues at my theater..sorry you had issues...FN has the videos up if you have that...I'm re-watching a few performances.