Achin' for Akron/Cinecast

This had been discussed before, but your assessment is just flat out naive/ignorant and wrong. The GE sheets have very explicit criteria and the DCI judges are more than competent enough to know what effect is. You can look at the new GE sheets with a simple search of DCI's website.

Just because you personally don't understand how to evaluate effect doesn't make the caption some nebulous hard to define thing

I'm not naive or wrong. Nowhere on the sheets is "effect" defined, yet "effect" is used as an adjective ("How effectively does...") and a noun ("Variety of Effects").

Therefore, there is no "explicit criteria" for "effect."

Similarly, can you actually, honestly, intellectually argue that "programmatic interpretation" means exactly the same thing to every judge? No way!

"I know it when I see it."

I LOVE the Bluecoats' show... but its clear that whatever "top tier" effect is comprised of... this TILT doesn't seem to have it.

• Like 1

Can we talk about how the percussion judge had 2 2-way ties in Content and a 3-way tie AND a 2-way tie in ACHIEVEMENT (which baffles me especially in the achievement caption) IN A SHOW WITH SEVEN ####### CORPS?!?! I mean I know it's the early season but you are getting more than decent money to essentially decide. This to me is absolutely ridiculous.

Yes! And he tied over HALF the lineup. Just let that sink in for a second. 4 of 7.

And 0.3 between 6 corps in ANY caption is flat out stupid, especially at this point in the season. Make a decision, you're getting paid to be a professional.

I look forward to seeing Crown's electrons-around-the-atom drill when it's clean.

Saw the show in Huntington, great crowd and no broadcast problems.

But....

Can we talk about how the percussion judge had 2 2-way ties in Content and a 3-way tie AND a 2-way tie in ACHIEVEMENT (which baffles me especially in the achievement caption) IN A SHOW WITH SEVEN ####### CORPS?!?! I mean I know it's the early season but you are getting more than decent money to essentially decide. This to me is absolutely ridiculous.

i wasnt at the theater, but saw the recap going around Facebook. man oh man.

and of course Hop is asking everyone to give the guy a break.

Sure after he probably had the caption head on speed dial yelling about it

Both Crown and Bluecoats mis-timed the start of their show versus Akron's announcer.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

TOTALLY agree. I said this earlier:

His numbers look like a pretty hot mess. On one hand, props for mixing up the sub-captions, but on the other hand, with only seven corps:

* a sub-caption tie in content

* a three-way sub-caption tie in achievement

* 2 over-all ties

* a 4 point spread from first to last in content; 4 point spread from first to last in achievement (again, with seven units)

Not a good night, IMO. I HATE sub-caption ties; if an overall tie happens w/zero sub ties then I guess I can believe that (especially if subs are mixed up as much as they were tonight). But the numbers management issues (again, 4 point spread from 1-7 in sub captions is not a good idea; probably starting Boston off so high was also probably not a good idea) look awful.

I wonder what his tapes sound like: at this point that might be his only saving grace...

Also, I wonder if someone had a chat with him since his numbers the next night in Bowling Green look a lot more normal

and he was in the 8's for every sub box but one.

welcome to the big leagues

It's also way too soon to tell. This was show #1. Panels change. Minds change. There is plenty of precedent for lower scoring GE captions recovering enough to medal. You don't have to win GE, just get it close enough to let the other captions ride you in.

Ge is also very performer driven. You can have a great design package, but if it's not being communicated by the performers....

i wasnt at the theater, but saw the recap going around Facebook. man oh man.

and of course Hop is asking everyone to give the guy a break.

Sure after he probably had the caption head on speed dial yelling about it

George is a judge, too (for the USBands circuit) and he'll be the first to tell you that, as humans, we make mistakes in numbers management sometimes. It has happened to every judge. I guarantee it. Some nights, you just have a total brain collapse.

Ge is also very performer driven. You can have a great design package, but if it's not being communicated by the performers....

Bingo. Design is only half the story. And design changes through the season! You could have a great framework but be missing some vital pieces.

I'm not naive or wrong. Nowhere on the sheets is "effect" defined, yet "effect" is used as an adjective ("How effectively does...") and a noun ("Variety of Effects").

Therefore, there is no "explicit criteria" for "effect."

Similarly, can you actually, honestly, intellectually argue that "programmatic interpretation" means exactly the same thing to every judge? No way!

"I know it when I see it."

I LOVE the Bluecoats' show... but its clear that whatever "top tier" effect is comprised of... this TILT doesn't seem to have it.

actually under content, the sheets look for things like audience engagement, audio to visual coordination, interpretation, variety of effectscreativity, originality and artistry, and for Performer you see things like engage the audience, deliver/sustain effects, embody/sustain character, role,identity, style, and communicate nuance, detail, and artistic qualities.

from there the sheets have even more wording on how it ties into those phrases.

loud and standing O's dont appear