Achin' for Akron/Cinecast

I appreciate your compliments of the narrator, but the he was lip-synching and, therefore, it's not possible to judge the young man's voice.

Actually, the narrator went to my high school when I was a freshman, so I can assure you that while he may have been lip synching, that was in fact his voice. And yes, people did still love it back then too.

Well just like everyone I have to stay current on what happened in the past

You do realize I started this thread in early May. A few days ago, someone called it "Immortal".

Tis a good thing that people are still talking about the Cinecast. I believe there has been some very good feedback regarding an early show with this many top corps and then using it to fill theaters across the country. I would not be surprised if some of the feedback about theaters is getting to people who can plan next years event.

Just my 3 cents (Yup, inflation)

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 1

Actually, the narrator went to my high school when I was a freshman, so I can assure you that while he may have been lip synching, that was in fact his voice. And yes, people did still love it back then too.

I was hoping for something a little more Napoleon Dynamite-like. :)

Of course it's not "just that easy." The point of the metaphor (something I think a Crown honk would be the best ever at understanding) is the point of such a show decision is to influence the general effect score, but the effect they think they are producing is not being transmitted to the audiences and judges. If the cavaliers could've found a way to remove the cloaks on field, it would've been much flashier, and people would've loved it. Although, in the context of an induction into a secret society, it wouldn't make any sense to make such a "public" reveal of your identity. Secret Society really doesn't get enough credit IMO. The storyline flowed really well and the closer inducted the whole audience into their society. But, they just couldn't get it to work. The logistics weren't happening. Same for Crown and the instrument switch. It would be impossible to make a quick switch because the logistics of such a thing would be nigh impossible on a field that WASN'T already so cluttered by props and other instruments. The fact that the switch is during the muffler feature means that no one is really going to catch it happening either. I'm sure that placing the muffler thing there is supposed to kind of redirect audience attention away from the low brass grabbing the high brass instruments, but the misdirection is working TOO well at this point. So Crown '14 have exactly the same problem as Cavaliers '13. A gimmick that they want to work a lot better than it is, but not a lot of options for making that happen. QED the switch from low to high brass in out of this world is fundamentally the same as the removal of the cloaks in secret society.

PS: I like that you have nothing to say about the brass player piano solo, really drives home the point for me :)

Secret Society was not as easy to follow the plot line to many as you say. That said I agree the switch for Crown hasn't truly come close to generating a wow effect yet.

Secret Society was not as easy to follow the plot line to many as you say. That said I agree the switch for Crown hasn't truly come close to generating a wow effect yet.

Probably going to have to be a live viewing thing, I'm being told it's like an echo effect.

Probably going to have to be a live viewing thing, I'm being told it's like an echo effect.

That seemed to come across (at least for me) pretty well on the cinecast versus a webcast. As you say, it will probably be better in person as are all Drum Corps shows.

Secret Society was not as easy to follow the plot line to many as you say.

Which I think has always been an injustice. As far as continuity, it's a much simpler show than XtraordinarY, but had much more to it that 15 minutes ("of shame" as I sometimes call it in my head.) I've always thought secret society could be summed up pretty quick, but since that's not what this thread is about, I shall refrain.

I appreciate your compliments of the narrator, but the he was lip-synching and, therefore, it's not possible to judge the young man's voice.

Actually, the narrator went to my high school when I was a freshman, so I can assure you that while he may have been lip-synching, that was in fact his voice. And yes, people did still love it back then too.

If in fact he was lip-syching again at Akron (where the weather was perfect, so why would they do that?), then just read garfield's comment as, "it's not possible to judge the young man's vocal performance in this show", since he wasn't performing.