Fan Network 2014-2015?

I can't beleive that I am still having trouble accessing shows from previous years on my iPhone. Is anyone else having issues with the iPhone 5s and Fan Network?

There's an off season. I'd be willing to bet that there's downtime at DCI. Beside they could take on the project on a yearly basis working their way back year by year.

I don't know what the work breakdown is at DCI. Plus, I'm sure there are some volunteers around who would LOVE to help with a project like this.

I never said FN isn't a great value. That's not the point. That's almost a straw man.

Anyway, I don't want to cause problems for DCI. I'm almost left feeling like there are some major violations waiting to happen with some of these shows and they know it and are just hoping those shows will go away.

Anyway, I guess I'm done with the discussion ( unless I'm not later)

1) off season = during school year, meaning the "interns" likely don't exist

2) I suspect there is still plenty of work during the off season in the DCI office

The truth is we're all speculating. Maybe it's something as simple as "we don't have the masters of the non-finalists because we didn't keep great archives pre-digital age of non-finalists." Who knows. The one thing we 100% know is that this seem to not really be a big priority to DCI, and I suspect it's not a big priority to the majority of DCI FN subscribers. It's us debating for the sake of debating, and little/nothing more.

Most of us marched in a non-finals corps at some point in our DC history and would love to see those shows again. We all agree on that. I believe we would just like to see some "transparency" regarding efforts on this one. It pulls at the heart strings when you get taken back in time to see those old corps and wish you could see your own corps that marched the same year.

Out of curiosity, have you contacted DCI to request non-finalist, legacy years on FN? If so, what was their response?

IMO you can't demand transparency if you've done nothing to start a line of communication. I don't expect DCI to automatically publicly address every minutia of trivial matters on my whim without me at least contacting them first. I have found that when I do email DCI about a specific question or issue I get a prompt and usually helpful response: not always the one I want to hear, but nearly always explicit with reasoning behind their decisions/policy.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, have you contacted DCI to request non-finalist, legacy years on FN? If so, what was their response?

IMO you can't demand transparency if you've done nothing to start a line of communication. I don't expect DCI to automatically publicly address every minutia of trivial matters on my whim without me at least contacting them first. I have found that when I do email DCI about a specific question or issue I get a prompt and usually helpful response: not always the one I want to hear, but nearly always explicit with reasoning behind their decisions/policy.

I've done this with non-DCI/DCA holders of material. Got some interesting responses why the material they have on hand had not been released. Usually there was a question of copyright, either the music or the recording of the show itself. LOL - then there were the bunch of tapes of shows that some had been reused by the (deceased) orignal recorder. IIRC the quote was "great vidoe of a show... then all of a sudden "I Love Lucy" starts up... so much for that corps show". And in one case I asked why there was only a 6 corps CD for sale of a 10 corps show (my corps was one of the missing). Answer I got made sense and then I read "if you want the recording of your corps, I can do a special CD for you". Jumped on that sucker REAL quick as it's the only field performance for that season.

I've done this with non-DCI/DCA holders of material. Got some interesting responses why the material they have on hand had not been released. Usually there was a question of copyright, either the music or the recording of the show itself. LOL - then there were the bunch of tapes of shows that some had been reused by the (deceased) orignal recorder. IIRC the quote was "great vidoe of a show... then all of a sudden "I Love Lucy" starts up... so much for that corps show". And in one case I asked why there was only a 6 corps CD for sale of a 10 corps show (my corps was one of the missing). Answer I got made sense and then I read "if you want the recording of your corps, I can do a special CD for you". Jumped on that sucker REAL quick as it's the only field performance for that season.

I would almost suspect that just like your stories above, maybe the truth is stranger than our fiction/what we think. There was one year (94 I think) where a giant moth or something flies across the overhead camera that DCI used for either Cadets or BD. It's just a couple seconds, but it's egregious. I imagine if that kind of stuff happened that we know about (a bug flies in front of the camera and somewhere an editor said either, "that's the best we got" or "meh: what are ya gonna do") there are all sorts of wild, entertaining stories behind-the-scenes with this stuff!

I would almost suspect that just like your stories above, maybe the truth is stranger than our fiction/what we think. There was one year (94 I think) where a giant moth or something flies across the overhead camera that DCI used for either Cadets or BD. It's just a couple seconds, but it's egregious. I imagine if that kind of stuff happened that we know about (a bug flies in front of the camera and somewhere an editor said either, "that's the best we got" or "meh: what are ya gonna do") there are all sorts of wild, entertaining stories behind-the-scenes with this stuff!

Missed going to DCA 2006(?) and bought the entire Prelims/Finals package on DVD. Well what there was of Prelims. That was the year a hurricane (Ernesto?) came close over Labor Day Weekend. Sunday (Finals) was beautiful but Saturday (Prelims) was a disaster with wind and rain. About 2/3rd of Prelims was recorded and when the wind shifted you were looking through the rain on the lens. Recording crew quit doing Prelims with about 8 corps to go as they were worried the equipment would be ruined for Finals. Last Prelims corps recorded (CorpsVets) has about 2 minutes of silence because of rain problems. Another corps had to do an exhibition after the Sunday AM Alumni show because they didn't have a recording from Prelims and they missed making Finals.

Don't know any BITD wild stories. Just the usual airplanes coming in for a landing at Allentown late 70s..

Then again there is a vid on the home page of a corps that will remain nameless, The website has a bunch of early non-professional vids thru the years and I swear one of them I can hear someone saying in the background "Are they playing this #### again?"

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Does anybody else get really poor video and audio quality on their ipad or iPhone? I thought they said they'd improved that stuff. Grrr.

Does anybody else get really poor video and audio quality on their ipad or iPhone? I thought they said they'd improved that stuff. Grrr.

I do too. Especially on Apple TV

When do you ever NOT get poor audio/video on these devices?

YouTube, vimeo, dailymotion, espn, news sites, everything really. Everything except for this. Works just fine on my PC, I'm just frustrated that this hasn't improved on mobile devices after they specifically said it was. Glad to see I'm not the only one with the issue though.