Fan Network 2014-2015?

Also, lets talk about other costs involved: time/effort/resources. It takes a paid person to go through the archives, do the research of what is exactly cleared for all rights and what isn't, upload video, etc. Is that expense worth it?

Volunteers could help.

Even with only paid people, think how much of that work could be done already with just the same amount of time/effort/resources that has already been spent on making excuses.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, I know the ever-constant threat of legal action over copyright looms over all circuits in the modern age. Have any schools / circuits actually been sued for not obtaining permissions?

Mike

Just out of curiosity, I know the ever-constant threat of legal action over copyright looms over all circuits in the modern age. Have any schools / circuits actually been sued for not obtaining permissions?

Mike

I've known circuits & a school issued a cease & desist orders for not obtaining proper permissions. None that I know of on a national scale, but I've known of local circuits. I also know of a local school who was sued by Disney for using xeroxed copies of music (that was purchased) in their class.

Lots of considerations, and none of the organizations (circuits, school, DCI, corps, etc) are in a financial position to fight in court and/or pay necessary fines or damages. It is MUCH easier to just not do stuff, especially for something that would have a low yield as far as positive finances (i.e. as mentioned before adding non-finalists to FN would likely not bring a significant profit to the service to compensate the expenses necessary to secure all prudent rights).

Obviously the ROI is minimal if people subscribe anyway. I'm not subscribing this year,

The purpose of FN is ONLY about ROI. It's also about saving the recordings for the future. That's how the history of the activity is saved for the future record.

I understand the business aspect. CAN be significant and ARE significant aren't the same. This could be a side project for someone to find out what it would be. Happens all the time in the regular corporate world.

I mean, DCI doesn't operate to make money; they operate to serve their members corps. Which I guess if the top 12 at finals are the members corps, then mission accomplished.

I'm not trying to be difficult. I simply believe that someone could actually look into seeing what's in the public domain, and put what's in PD on. Maybe they don't want to know? Maybe they've already done this?

I dunno.

at what point does licensing costs out weigh saving for "legacy purposes?"

Remember, the ide with DCI is to make money to funnel back to the corps. if DCI is funneling out millions for licensing, and aren't making nearly enough to cover it...the corps don't get money.

Mike

I know of one in the 80's threatened to be sued if they used Carmina Burana. I also know of a school that played something at their spring concert without permission when they sold dvd's of the event.

This is exactly what I was thinking of would be the real reason that they wouldn't want to do this, when in fact, a passionate person would happily go into the archive and earmark stuff like this.

I can go to corpsreps right now and see everything that was in these shows and see what's in PD. I dunno, I'm not trying to be difficult, just saying.

That's true. However, do you think there might be other "projects" that need done that might have a higher priority? The beginning of June = the tour about to kick off and I'm sure there are a myriad other things that need done. You have to admit that in the pecking order of tasks that need done getting copyright clearance, uploading old video, converting video to proper file, condensing file to proper size, etc. of non-finalist corps performances is not a huge "I have to get that done" task: significant work for minimal (or zero) "reward."

And like I said, I'm OK with that. It would be nice to have non-finalist corps (of which both my years marching drum corps are), but I understand the reasoning & think FN is still a great bargain.

• Like 1

at what point does licensing costs out weigh saving for "legacy purposes?"

Remember, the ide with DCI is to make money to funnel back to the corps. if DCI is funneling out millions for licensing, and aren't making nearly enough to cover it...the corps don't get money.

Certainly not before it is even looked into.

That's true. However, do you think there might be other "projects" that need done that might have a higher priority? The beginning of June = the tour about to kick off and I'm sure there are a myriad other things that need done. You have to admit that in the pecking order of tasks that need done getting copyright clearance, uploading old video, converting video to proper file, condensing file to proper size, etc. of non-finalist corps performances is not a huge "I have to get that done" task: significant work for minimal (or zero) "reward."

And like I said, I'm OK with that. It would be nice to have non-finalist corps (of which both my years marching drum corps are), but I understand the reasoning & think FN is still a great bargain.

There's an off season. I'd be willing to bet that there's downtime at DCI. Beside they could take on the project on a yearly basis working their way back year by year.

I don't know what the work breakdown is at DCI. Plus, I'm sure there are some volunteers around who would LOVE to help with a project like this.

I never said FN isn't a great value. That's not the point. That's almost a straw man.

Anyway, I don't want to cause problems for DCI. I'm almost left feeling like there are some major violations waiting to happen with some of these shows and they know it and are just hoping those shows will go away.

Anyway, I guess I'm done with the discussion ( unless I'm not later)

Certainly not before it is even looked into.

I would imagine given all they went through to get all that is on the Fn cleared they certainly have an idea of what it would cost. You have every year back to say at least 75, with anywhere from 15-60 corps a year if you count all those not making finals plus OC/2/3/A/A60 involved.

Would I love to see 83 Troop again? or 88 Dutch Boy? Sure I would.full shows to, not chopped up. But I'm willing to bet DCI has researched it, and while I'm often skeptical of some of their claims, just seeing what they have gone through the last few years with dvd's, when I'm told that, I'm willing to believe them.

I would imagine given all they went through to get all that is on the Fn cleared they certainly have an idea of what it would cost. You have every year back to say at least 75, with anywhere from 15-60 corps a year if you count all those not making finals plus OC/2/3/A/A60 involved.

Would I love to see 83 Troop again? or 88 Dutch Boy? Sure I would.full shows to, not chopped up. But I'm willing to bet DCI has researched it, and while I'm often skeptical of some of their claims, just seeing what they have gone through the last few years with dvd's, when I'm told that, I'm willing to believe them.

Most of us marched in a non-finals corps at some point in our DC history and would love to see those shows again. We all agree on that. I believe we would just like to see some "transparency" regarding efforts on this one. It pulls at the heart strings when you get taken back in time to see those old corps and wish you could see your own corps that marched the same year.