New WGI Sch A / AA Rule

idel

What does everyone think about the new rule that passed this weekend regarding splitting Sch A into A and AA at WGIs? I think this is huge news and am surprised I haven't seen any opinions yet on it.

Idel - I was JUST coming on here to get the convo started!!!! LOL Glad you did!

As a SA co-director, I'm on the fence about it and hope WGI posts more info about it.

Here's one of my biggest questions: Will the AA finals be at UD Arena??? That's a HUGE factor as far as I see it!

Also, although we won't "know" until after regional season, we will sort of "know" by following the rankings.

Was anyone there that can provide us with more info????

Can you imagine being # 60 out of 120? I can see it now....."why did we get a 78?! We needed a 77.7!"

I too am on the fence. I'm glad they are breaking the class up. No need to place in the 100s. I also see why it would be tough for classification purposes to separate classes all year round. But it does lead to a whole lot of uncertainty of where you are for those middle guards.

I would have loved to be in that room for that discussion! While I am leaning towards liking it, I wonder if the proposal would have even been close to passing if someone of Karl Lowe's stature hadn't submitted it.

Izzy

Edited by idel

Which is what's probably gonna happen!

I would be in favor of a fourth class if the class was set up at the beginning of the season and guards could choose the class they belonged in. WGI would need to have a really good review committee in place as well to bump and demote guards throughout the season to ensure proper classification.

My issue is that a guard who is 61st out of 120 in the rankings will now get a gold medal and a guard who is 60th out of 120 will not even make semifinals.

The rule proposal left out so many things. How many guards from each class make semifinal?. What type of venues will be used to accommodate the additional competitions? Will anyone be interested in attending a finals show made up of 15 guards that in the past would not have even made semifinals?

With the differences in regional scores from one area of the country to the next, dividing the class a week before WGI is not an accurate way of determining who should be A vs AA. \

So much uncertainty in this proposal. I would have preferred some more research into the logistics and rules behind this before it was actually approved and put in place.

• Like 1

They'll need a seperate commitee just to review the whole middle of Sch A! Let's do it Jeremy, along with Carol!!! Lol

I have a feeling that this is just the beginning of developing a whole new class all season down the line, which of course will open a whole big can of worms both nationally and locally. It also opens the door for more of those middle of the road A guards to want to go to WGI since they feel they will now have a better shot at competitive success.

I do like the premise of it though. For now I assume the number of guards making semis and finals would follow the rules already in place.

Does anyone know since the inception of the current 3 class system, when did Sch A's numbers explode? I remember near 120 in the mid 2000s, a little dip down to just under 100 during the recession, and then the jump back up to our current 120ish. What were they in the early 90s when the 3 class split started?

Izzy

Haha Izzy! I am not sure they would like me on the review committee. If I was you would see a lot more mid season promotions to SO and SW than you have today!

But back to the topic at hand......the only real problem I have with this is the fact that the division takes place at the end of the season based on a flawed ranking system. If we want to go that route why not just have one giant scholastic class during the season and determine World, Open, A and AA prelims based on one big ranking list.

is it official, or does the BOD need to ratify it first

I think it has to be ratified but don't these proposals that pass usually get ratified?

They'll need a seperate commitee just to review the whole middle of Sch A! Let's do it Jeremy, along with Carol!!! Lol

I have a feeling that this is just the beginning of developing a whole new class all season down the line, which of course will open a whole big can of worms both nationally and locally. It also opens the door for more of those middle of the road A guards to want to go to WGI since they feel they will now have a better shot at competitive success.

I do like the premise of it though. For now I assume the number of guards making semis and finals would follow the rules already in place.

Does anyone know since the inception of the current 3 class system, when did Sch A's numbers explode? I remember near 120 in the mid 2000s, a little dip down to just under 100 during the recession, and then the jump back up to our current 120ish. What were they in the early 90s when the 3 class split started?

Izzy

Sure, I'll do it! Unfortunately, based on what I've seen the last few seasons, my opinions don't quite match with the judges--I've seen too many guards that I think are much better than what their score reflects!

I do, however, agree with Jeremy that it's a shame that a guard who finishes 61st will get a gold medal, while the guard who finishes 60th gets nothing.

Of course, with SA being the hardest class to even make finals in, it'll be a nice opportunity for the kids whose guards don't stand a chance to make finals to have something else to strive for if they're in the AA class.