2014 uniforms

This was discussed on the Marching Roundtable podcast, and they hit the nail on the head. Top-level marching bands have long gravitated to neutral colors - white, black and now gray - in order to give a neutral palette to visual designers and guards. DCI, however, is so entwined with "brand" identity that colors tend to be brighter and bolder. Michael Cesario said during his guest appearance that in the most recent Cavaliers uniform redesign (2010), he pushed hard to limit the amount of green on the jacket as it limits what you can line up next to it. However, the corps powers that be have pretty much guaranteed him that the next version, whenever it comes, will have *more* green, as they think it's gone too far to black.

In that context, it's no surprise that Spirit ditched the previous unis (white, black and gray) for a bolder, more colorful "Spirit" look (blue). I still like them a lot, and I don't think the deltas on the front will be any better or worse looking than Cavies' gears or Phantom's shields were.

Mike

• Like 1

I like a lot of things about Spirits's new uni. The vivid cerulean blue makes a bold statement, and the black fade on one side adds a sophisticated touch (though the fade thing is getting kinda trendy).

I would have ditched the bisected delta on the chest. Looks a bit too "designed", different just to be different. The tunic with no delta at all would have been sleeker. The delta then would have been implied by diagonal flap and the bright silver buttons.

And that pearl gray shako sort of undermines the impact of the intense blue tunic. Shako should be black, or maybe white white like the gauntlets.

Overall, though, I say 8/10.

Just a clarification for everyone, the Spirit shako is white. I realize there's a consistency across all the images making it look gray, but in person, it's clearly white.

However, I'm also puzzled about the "upside down" delta on the shako. I haven't had a chance to talk with anyone about it.

Just a clarification for everyone, the Spirit shako is white. I realize there's a consistency across all the images making it look gray, but in person, it's clearly white.

However, I'm also puzzled about the "upside down" delta on the shako. I haven't had a chance to talk with anyone about it.

maybe the upside down delta is on spinners like some sweet car rims, then in the middle of the show they can spin them around into deltas, and BAM, 500 GE points

They look like the exact same white shakos and plumes as last year, only for some reason they flipped the delta upside down this year.

Maybe it's just a wardrobe malfunction. :tounge2:

This was discussed on the Marching Roundtable podcast, and they hit the nail on the head. Top-level marching bands have long gravitated to neutral colors - white, black and now gray - in order to give a neutral palette to visual designers and guards. DCI, however, is so entwined with "brand" identity that colors tend to be brighter and bolder. Michael Cesario said during his guest appearance that in the most recent Cavaliers uniform redesign (2010), he pushed hard to limit the amount of green on the jacket as it limits what you can line up next to it. However, the corps powers that be have pretty much guaranteed him that the next version, whenever it comes, will have *more* green, as they think it's gone too far to black.

In that context, it's no surprise that Spirit ditched the previous unis (white, black and gray) for a bolder, more colorful "Spirit" look (blue). I still like them a lot, and I don't think the deltas on the front will be any better or worse looking than Cavies' gears or Phantom's shields were.

Mike

Personally, I love that the brand of the corps supersedes the design choices. Don't get me wrong, I love a well designed show, but a show lasts a season; a corps lasts forever (or at least a very long time we hope).

It is a little odd they wouldn't simply have the shako triangle pointing up, same as the Delta. Back in '05 we had Delta mirrors on the shako.

Michael Cesario said during his guest appearance that in the most recent Cavaliers uniform redesign (2010), he pushed hard to limit the amount of green on the jacket as it limits what you can line up next to it. However, the corps powers that be have pretty much guaranteed him that the next version, whenever it comes, will have *more* green, as they think it's gone too far to black.

I'm glad to hear this. I think Cavies current uniform is nice, but I prefer the one they had prior to 2010.

• Like 1

They look like the exact same white shakos and plumes as last year, only for some reason they flipped the delta upside down this year.

Maybe it's just a wardrobe malfunction. :tounge2:

Or maybe it's yet another "Da Vinci Code" conspiracy. Male AND Female symbolism co-existing. Wouldn't want to be seen as sexist, ya' know.