2014 uniforms

If you would just see it as a uniform, instead of sexualizing it then you wouldn't have an issue with it.

... or conversely, if the 2 Guard members were depicted side by side standing at attention, then maybe it takes on a different assessment by peope too, who knows. But when the pose has a female marcher in a sexualized pose herself and then her hand is shown on the chest zipper of the male guard member, others might think you are just being apparently temporarily blind to not understand how some people might view this pic in a sexualized way. ' just sayin. There is another pic of 3 woman BD Guard members standing side by side, smiling, and you'd be hard pressed to find any asssessment that their pose for that pic was of an intended sexualized nature by the 3 females... thus, no such assessment of THAT BD pic in that fashion was made here on DCP by any posters.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

If you would just see it as a uniform, instead of sexualizing it then you wouldn't have an issue with it.

All clothing choices are inherently sexualized. When we choose what to wear on a given day, we are making (consciously or not) a choice about how we wish to be perceived; we know how to dress to make us look either sexually attractive or non-descript (thus not worth paying attention to), and we make choices based on what we want.

These clearly AREN'T wrestling unitards or yoga clothes (the fishnets kind of give that away), so there's no point arguing that they're not supposed to be read in a sexual context, when the obvious reason they went in this direction was as a nod to Fellini's libertine reputation, and the sexually-charged nature of most of his best-known work.

From that standpoint, they're probably a good fit and the kids in the guard are no doubt almost all legal adults rather than high school kids, so I've got no problem with 'em.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

I am actually not a huge fan of the blue devils uniforms. I would like to see them in person to really have an opinion... Other than that I like what I see (I am hoping the male guard members for BD are not wearing that...)

I think the male BD guard costume is here to stay. I feel pretty bad for those guys. Looks uncomfortable.

As a non BD fan, I have to say both the guard and the corps proper are likely going to be my favorite of theirs. I was of course one of the few who really liked the gray back in the 80's that they quickly ditched the next year. That was also my favorite BD show ever.

I dig the Cavaliers uniform. And their guard uniform is the most impressive theme-based uniform they've done since the 007 show in my opinion. I really like the colors they have chosen. I like the fact that they have stuck with the poofy sleeves even when other corps have dropped it. They are cavaliers, after all.

As for the Crossmen, SOA BAC, and BK, I'll save my opinion for when I see it in person as it wouldn't be fair to rail on without seeing it on the field.

Overall, we are ultimately headed for WGI shows on the field with brass in the background!

As a footnote: just because the technology exists now to do a gradient on a uniform doesn't mean its a great idea in every case!

Edited by Wadep66

... or conversely, if the 2 Guard members were depicted side by side standing at attention, then maybe it takes on a different assessment by peope too, who knows. But when the pose has a female marcher in a sexualized pose herself and then her hand is shown on the chest zipper of the male guard member, others might think you are just being apparently temporarily blind to not understand how some people might view this pic in a sexualized way. ' just sayin. There is another pic of 3 woman BD Guard members standing side by side, smiling, and you'd be hard pressed to find any asssessment that their pose for that pic was of an intended sexualized nature by the 3 females... thus, no such assessment of THAT BD pic in that fashion was made here on DCP by any posters.

I definitely can see how if they were posed differently there might be a different reaction from some people. I agree if there were side by side at attention there would be less "too sexy" comments! great assessment!

All clothing choices are inherently sexualized. When we choose what to wear on a given day, we are making (consciously or not) a choice about how we wish to be perceived; we know how to dress to make us look either sexually attractive or non-descript (thus not worth paying attention to), and we make choices based on what we want.

These clearly AREN'T wrestling unitards or yoga clothes (the fishnets kind of give that away), so there's no point arguing that they're not supposed to be read in a sexual context, when the obvious reason they went in this direction was as a nod to Fellini's libertine reputation, and the sexually-charged nature of most of his best-known work.

From that standpoint, they're probably a good fit and the kids in the guard are no doubt almost all legal adults rather than high school kids, so I've got no problem with 'em.

I agree! My biggest complaint is when people say these costumes are "too sexy" for some of the under 18 performers. Although these are clearly more "sexy" than yoga, track and field or wrestling uniforms, they cover the same amount of skin that those types of uniforms do . I think my comment was more about not seeing them as "risqué costumes" that are inappropriate and just understand that they fit within the theme and they are covered up appropriately for the show.

If a someone wanted to do a show about the beach and kids were dressed in speedos and bathing suits, I would see anything wrong with that, as they are wearing costumes that fits a theme (besides a lot of members rehearse in that anyway haha) yet some people would think its inappropriate, and I just don't see why.

I think the male BD guard costume is here to stay. I feel pretty bad for those guys. Looks uncomfortable.

I think it would be comfortable. if you have ever performed as a color guard, body suits type uniforms allow you to move freely, and you have cleaner looking lines.

I asked my friend yesterday, "what is with corps starting to have their uniforms becoming more costume-like, similar to those you would see at WGI with the color guard or percussion groups".

What do people think? Is it just a trend?

I am actually not a huge fan of the blue devils uniforms. I would like to see them in person to really have an opinion... Other than that I like what I see (I am hoping the male guard members for BD are not wearing that...)

I'm telling you it has to be seen at night under the lights during the show for the full effect. All day I was seeing it and not really liking the uniform nor dis-liking it.

Then once the lights are up and they hit the field it's a totally different vibe. Super Slick and OLD SCHOOL BD is what I saw last night but with a modern twist to it.

As for the whole atmosphere of all these rookie posters and their wizzing contest. I will not waste my time with them.