2014 uniforms

It is really strange seeing a shako without an eagle. I just always took it for granted that they have one.

I think I remember BITD there were some with some kind of a sunburst but do remember most with the eagle. The West Point head gear all had the eagle. The military connections to drum corps BITD may have something to do with it all

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

I think I remember BITD there were some with some kind of a sunburst but do remember most with the eagle. The West Point head gear all had the eagle. The military connections to drum corps BITD may have something to do with it all

There were only a few choices for many, many years: the eagle, the sunburst thing and possibly a lyre. As I recall, there started being a few more choices in the '90s and then when FJM took off, they started coming out with some different stuff.

• Like 1

I honestly don't know if there's a major "story" behind it, but my understanding is the eagle has been there since pretty much the beginning (if I'm wrong, let me know).

It doesn't really matter if it never comes back, but I always liked the fact that no matter how crazy BD went with their uniforms, the eagle emblem was always on the shako. I'm not a traditionalist, and BD can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned ... but I like having some sort of little connection to the past.

As for the full uniform: I'll reserve judgement for when I see it live, but that picture makes it look milquetoast.

Looking at some old DCI yearbooks. Sure enough, in 1975, BD has an eagle on their shako, and this is before their open tuxedo look.

However, my guess is that the eagle has no particular symbolism to BD. The eagle is /was simply a very common shako motif from way back.

Here are others rocking' the shako /eagle look: 1975 Cavies (puffy sleeves too); 1975 Garfield Cadets; 1975 Freelancers; 1975 Royal Crusaders; 1973 Anaheim Kingsmen; 1973 Des Plaines Vanguard...I could go on and on.

So, sure, BD has used the eagle for a long time. But special significance, or just habit? Any BD person know?

(oh, and the sunburst was a distant second choice: Argonne Rebels, Guardsmen, couple others had it.)

Edited by quietcity
  • Like 1

To be fair, if the Cadets were to come out this year with their standard West Point style uniform and no eagle on the shako, I would probably be a bit more put off. Even if that specific detail on the uniform hasn't been given any type or special meaning or importance to their members (I don't know if it has or hasn't), that particular uniform would look odd without it, IMO.

Edited by seen-it-all

Phantom's rumored uniform change is now confirmed

BqOY7O2CMAAuOFp.jpg

Quite the contrast between the two looks. IMO if the transition is done well, it could be really effective.

• Like 4

Looking at some old DCI yearbooks. Sure enough, in 1975, BD has an eagle on their shako, and this is before their open tuxedo look.

However, my guess is that the eagle has no particular symbolism to BD. The eagle is /was simply a very common shako motif from way back.

Here are others rocking' the shako /eagle look: 1975 Cavies (puffy sleeves too); 1975 Garfield Cadets; 1975 Freelancers; 1975 Royal Crusaders; 1973 Anaheim Kingsmen; 1973 Des Plaines Vanguard...I could go on and on.

So, sure, BD has used the eagle for a long time. But special significance, or just habit? Any BD person know?

(oh, and the sunburst was a distant second choice: Argonne Rebels, Guardsmen, couple others had it.)

It was the band uniform companies' equivalent to Henry Ford's statement: "you can have your Model T in any color you want, as long as it's black."

If you wanted anything other than the few options, you had to make it yourself. Magic did that, with a thing we called the "hood ornament," a gold spike that was placed in front of the plume. It was originally cardboard, and then in '97 cut, folded sheet aluminum with metallic fabric hot glued over it (better name would have been "lightning rod").

• Like 1

Traditions are made to be broken.

Then everyone is generic and without identity. BORING Homogenization!

I'm more of the school of thought where traditions are very important, and it's knowing which traditions to break that's important.

This uniform is fine for them, and I kinda just want all the corps to go wild this year and see what happens.

Phantom's rumored uniform change is now confirmed

Quite the contrast between the two looks. IMO if the transition is done well, it could be really effective.

Are you KIDDING me, Phantom? I expect this from BD, but not from you!

• Like 1