2014 uniforms

I believe last year's uniform was the same as 2012's just with pieces added on for the Les Miz show. But even if they were new last year, it wouldn't be the first time in recent history that SCV has ditched uniform after only one year of use. Remember the 2008 uniform?

08_07_2008_vanguard-cymbals.jpg

That's definitely an example of something looking much better on paper than on real life. I remember being impressed with the concept drawing but disappointed later on.

Part of the story of Scheherazade involves a new virgin each night who was beheaded the next day...

so all white units, might fit into the story ... and who's to say that those unis (if the rumor holds true) will remain white through the entire show...

SCV has changed pants, and other parts before in their shows...

and the previous version of this show ended with a guard member appearing in an all white costume as the ending set.

Edited by ashevillemurphy

I don't think they were new per se.... but they had a lot of additions to the old uni--and I think black pants instead of green, can't really tell.

I just checked 2012 to 2013 Vanguard photos. I always thought that the 2013 uniforms were new. You are right.

Phantom has the annual Leaf River Summer Daze parade this coming Sunday.

I hope we get some photos of their uniforms that day.

I'm almost certain they'll be wearing totally new uniforms since they chopped off the right sleeves last year.

I was also thinking the same thing of BD - didn't they cut the sleeves on those, too?

Mike

They did.

The grey shako looks odd. The upside down delta on the shako is odd as well. The SOA logo is a delta, not an upside down triangle. I have no idea what is supposed to be going on on the front of the jackett. I do like the gauntlets though...

SOA.

Yep. I like the gauntlets. Other than that, Meh. Boring. Good luck cleaning spacing. Greatly disappointed.

Edited by derbydawg

SOA's new threads from up close and from afar:

10411779_10154160210745293_693239158521510300654_10154160211200293_2399007406903

I must say I am quite taken back. This is several steps backwards from the most recent look. The last uni was so strong and modern enough without being too over the top.

I fear this says we want to be as much old SOA as possible without digging in the closet for the 1980 suits. It looks very bando to me and doesn't look like it will fit well.

Those deltas are going to be all over the place in regards to angles, heights, etc. Could be a cleaning nightmare. Seems the uniform image no longer says moving forward.

Opportunity greatly missed.

This is several steps backwards from the most recent look. The last uni was so strong and modern enough without being too over the top.

I wouldn't call the last uniform design they had strong at all. Modern? I guess. But it was also extremely bland and forgettable, and never really took advantage of what used to be a pretty strong visual identity in terms of recognizability. It actually seemed like they were trying to HIDE those recognizable elements. Maybe this new design is too retro in some respects, I don't know. But it makes no sense to me to throw away iconic aspects of a corps' image in the quest to appear "more modern," as I feel they did with their previous uniform design.Whether this new design comes off well on the field or not, at the very least it embraces those things that made Spirit's look so recognizable and pleasing to so many fans. We'll see how this works out for them on the field, but at least people won't need to check their programs to tell who the heck they're looking at. Nobody will ever be confused as to who this drum corps is, that's for sure.