2014 uniforms

I'm glad to hear this. I think Cavies current uniform is nice, but I prefer the one they had prior to 2010.

I "wonder" when they're going to be getting a new design? :music:

• Like 1

I wouldn't call the last uniform design they had strong at all. Modern? I guess. But it was also extremely bland and forgettable, and never really took advantage of what used to be a pretty strong visual identity in terms of recognizability. It actually seemed like they were trying to HIDE those recognizable elements. Maybe this new design is too retro in some respects, I don't know. But it makes no sense to me to throw away iconic aspects of a corps' image in the quest to appear "more modern," as I feel they did with their previous uniform design.Whether this new design comes off well on the field or not, at the very least it embraces those things that made Spirit's look so recognizable and pleasing to so many fans. We'll see how this works out for them on the field, but at least people won't need to check their programs to tell who the heck they're looking at. Nobody will ever be confused as to who this drum corps is, that's for sure.

I would also describe their last uni as strong. The lines cut the body well and that blue was electric under the lights. This is so ho hum. Looks like a band director designed it and several band moms made it one night while watching Sex and The City reruns. Not that there is anything necessarily wrong with in-house designed and built band unis, or Sex and the City for that matter.

It isn't a look that I see as one of a corps wanting to be seen as moving up competitively.

I "wonder" when they're going to be getting a new design? :music:

Although the post doesn't mention the date of the podcast, I assumed it was recent so I thought Cesario's comment was interesting. However, the podcast is from March 10th, 2013 so it makes more sense.

One thing....it's incredible how many units Cesario designs for.

The lines cut the body well and that blue was electric under the lights.

And all of that is fine. But it didn't look like Spirit of Atlanta. (To be fair, it was a better look than what they had from 2007-2009....yikes!!)

Here's an exercise. Take that same design they used from 2010-2013, and change the primary and accent colors around so that they were maroon and gold. Would you propose such a design for the Cadets? Or maybe make them green and black and see if it works for the Cavaliers. Red and dark green for SCV. Or whites and blacks and greys for Phantom. Would you consider those to be "strong" new looks for those corps? Since you brought up wanting to be seen as competitively on the rise, here are some of the most competitively successful drum corps in DCI history. All of them (except for the Cadets) have modernized and tweaked their basic look over the years to the point where there is a noticable difference in how they look today as opposed to how they looked 25 years ago. And yet, with all those tweaks and changes and modern touches, NOBODY mistakes them for any other corps in DCI when they take the field these days. They've kept certain iconic elements of their long-established identity and brought them into the 21st century by making those traditional elements work for them in a modern context. They didn't try to hide them or mask them. They remain front and center to their visual identity. Boston's design is a what I conisder to be a strong attempt at striking that balance. New, different, with very modern elements, yet undeniably BOSTON.

As for Spirit's quest to wanting to be seen as moving up competitively, the best way for them to do that right now would be to move better, play better, spin better and drum better. And they can do all of that wearing something that actually honors and respects their long-standing identity in the activity. The way I see it, the old design did NOT do that very well at all. And I don't think it's without significant meaning that they're scrapping it after only four years.

• Like 1

I had seen alot of drum corps from 1969-1983, at ground level or a few bleachers up. While at a drum corps reunion 2006, I started reminiscing. With the discovery of internet, I could explore drum corps again from a different perspective. Curiosity prevailed and we went to Indy 2010 and 2013 and sat in seats way up high where I couldn't see a Delta. The blue hue of Spirit of Atlanta's uniform a few pages back is reminiscent of a blue hue that shone bright in the afternoon sun and under the evening stadium lights in Birmingham 1979. The blue hue with the savoury soulful music may shine again 2014.

Phantom will be showing off their new uniforms today. Also bluecoats are giving sneak previews of theirs.

Phantom will be showing off their new uniforms today. Also bluecoats are giving sneak previews of theirs.

Great! Do you know what time and where?