Tips for a beginner?

Hi!This is my first post, and I'm sorry if i posted in the wrong place! I'm currently a high school sophomore, and I play the euphonium. I have always wanted to be able to play marching snare. This summer I'm determined to learn, so I can do a snare solo for my States solo and ensemble contest! Can anyone recommend some Youtube videos and books for me to look at? Currently i have one pair of sticks and my friend gave me a HQ realfeel pad today.

Hi and welcome! Glad to hear of your enthusiasm and it seems like you are off to the right start with the pad and sticks.

Snare drum is like any other instrument. It takes a long time to become proficient. There are any number of YouTube videos demonstrating the technique involved in everything from the most basic rudiments to stuff you can't imagine. Don't know what part of the country you're in, but my advice would be to find somebody locally that can tutor you with lessons and advice.

You wouldn't expect to learn trumpet or clarinet in a week or a month so just understand that snare drum will be no different. You are using muscles you have never used before in the way you will be using them. Be patient with yourself and with time I'm sure you will start to pick it up.

Good Luck!!

Dan

Run away as fast as you can! It will consume your life! Run don't look back, you'll spend the next 40 years in this activity.

All kidding aside....ENJOY!