Time to eat some crow

We all make mistakes and this our chance to say..... ooops my bad.

Name some corps shows that you initially hated but came to love.

Santa Clara Vanguard 2000

I thought it was a mess. I trashed the guard and called the brass line a disaster and predicted an 8th place finish. But after a few years on FN it is now one of my all time favs. The intensity of the brass line is astounding and the guards emotion and control during the Adagio for Stings is truly something special.

Blue Devils 2012

I became what some have called a "hater" after that first viewing. Scatter drills, silly guard costumes, and simplistic drill. All the usual stuff that gets thrown their way....... How stupid of me. This was finally a BD show that the concept worked impeccably with what was on the field. I think that show might possibly be the best they have ever produced. I see something different and amazing with every viewing.

Crown 2013

I wish I could take down the fairly nasty review I gave them. I may have even suggested firing the entire design team. Nothing made sense to me......Einstein, park benches, and irritating vocals made me want want to scream. But as the season progressed I started to appreciate that parts of the show I hated were in fact the things that when seen as a whole were magical. Crown 2013 is now my all time favorite show.

Edited by bluesman
  • Like 2

Of course I was right about Star 1993 all along. The rest of ya'll just caught up. LOL

• Like 1

2008 Cavaliers... " Samurai " .... I thought it was just ok at the time, didn't do much for me, but now that I watch and listen to it since then, the uniqueness of the show, particularly in the Percussion playing and the Visuals, takes it now to a whole another appreciation level now for me.

89 Star of Indiana... during this time period I saw this show and music as essentially a replay of the 27th Lancers from earlier. But as time has gone on, I hear the beginnings of a fine brass line there now that will make a name for itself a few year later.

2001 Glassmen .. " Imago "... didn't like the show and music then, but replays of the music now ( and the excellent brass soloing ) gives it a higher appreciation from me today than back in 2001. Its a shame we've lost this fIne Corps.

Finally, 2007 Blue Devils... " Winged Victory "... ' didn't like the show then all that much, but now in retrospect, its sheer power and optimism of the show theme comes thru to me much much better in appreciation than anything BD has produced since.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Blue Devils 2010 - I hated that show with a burning passion, even after seeing if live twice that year. Thanks to the Fan Network, I've come to love it. I found a few melodies that I never knew existed before.

Santa Clara Vanguard (Just about every year) - Every year, I hear what SCV is playing and think to myself "this will be a good time to get a hotdog" but after seeing them live, I always fall in love. Well, except for 2009. I've heard enough Appalachian Spring to last me a lifetime.

I have a feeling 2014 Cadets will be added to this list some day.

Blue Devils 2013. Trashed it to no end, not necessarily here on DCP. Blue Devils shows are like a fine wine. They get better with age.

• Like 4

Blue Devils shows are like a fine wine. They get better with age.

This is so true.

We all make mistakes and this our chance to say..... ooops my bad.

Name some corps shows that you initially hated but came to love.

Crown 2013

I wish I could take down the fairly nasty review I gave them. I may have even suggested firing the entire design team. Nothing made sense to me......Einstein, park benches, and irritating vocals made me want want to scream. But as the season progressed I started to appreciate that parts of the show I hated were in fact the things that when seen as a whole were magical. Crown 2013 is now my all time favorite show.

Thanks, man. As a fellow MB3er now working with Crown that makes me very happy. The Crown kids are great and they truly loved performing that show.

2012 Bluecoats: When I first saw "Unmasked" it was via Fan Network I wanted to gag when they started naming their masks. When I saw them live in Allentown, I was suddenly moved, I found most of the show amazing (I still don't like the guard uniform change at the end--looks too much like Grandpa Walton's long johns to me). I still watch it frequently on DVD, the music is on my iPod, and in my opinion, is an underrated show.

Edited by Tim K

I'm not sure I hate any corps, but like many drum corps fans, I have had a fair amount of crow on my plate.

If told in 1980 that only one Boston area corps would still be competing thirty years later, I would have said 27th Lancers. North Star was sadly fading, Defenders were moving up but there were rumors, and as much as I loved BAC, I wondered how long they could hang on, and the answer, 74 years and counting. Since I loved BAC and admired their drive, I'm not sure I have to eat crow on their success. No 27th is still a hard one to swallow, but BAC has made it manageable. Also, there should be quite a few DCP posters eating crow regarding BAC, all you who place them out of finals when predicting the upcoming season or sell short the quality of their shows. You'd better admit it know because some of the great BAC posters know who you are, they have their BB guns ready, they're shooting at some crow, and they are getting it ready to serve you, and in some cases they are old time BAC guys, so they'll find you and you'll eat it. So if you're at the shows in Lawrence, Quincy, or New Haven, or now that Inspire Arts and Music is helping the Muchachos with their show in Manchester, NH and you've wrongly criticized BAC, you'd better make sure your hamburger or hot dog is in fact a hamburger or hot dog.

I also predicted that Star would return to the field by 1995.

Finally, Bluecoats and Carolina Crown would have their day in the sun and after two, maybe three years of making finals, they'd be gone. I think I was wrong on both counts and g9iven how much both have entertained me, I'm glad to be wrong.

I think you entirely missed the OP's question before us. The OP is asking us in his quest ( in big, black, bold print )above : " name some Corps SHOWS you initially hated but came to love "

Edited by BRASSO