A 2-Day, Beginning of the Year Event That I'd Love To See

I realize that this conversation is not to argue any slotting conspiracies, but I still feel like slotting doesn't exist completely. There are several instances where corps have defeated the odds (i.e. Carolina Crown 2013 and Phantom Regiment 2008/2009).

You could also back this up by saying that slotting and favoritism does not play a role in DCI by looking at other activities. For instance, sports dynasties like the Patriots and the Yankees continuously produce playoff winning seasons. Though they are not judged, and the turn over rate for athletes is a lot less than a drum corps, they continue to win. You could argue, in a sense, the same concept with drum corps dynasties like the Blue Devils and the Cadets. The reason why they place that high is because their staffs stick around, and they have a high percentage of vets (these vets could be Blue Devils/Cadets vets or vets that have marched drum corps in the past).

Yes, judges are humans, and they probably do make unintentional biases, but I doubt that any judge is playing favorites. It's their job not to play favorites. I doubt there is a such thing as a drum corps lobbyist.

I realize that this conversation is not to argue any slotting conspiracies, but I still feel like slotting doesn't exist completely. There are several instances where corps have defeated the odds (i.e. Carolina Crown 2013 and Phantom Regiment 2008/2009).

You could also back this up by saying that slotting and favoritism does not play a role in DCI by looking at other activities. For instance, sports dynasties like the Patriots and the Yankees continuously produce playoff winning seasons. Though they are not judged, and the turn over rate for athletes is a lot less than a drum corps, they continue to win. You could argue, in a sense, the same concept with drum corps dynasties like the Blue Devils and the Cadets. The reason why they place that high is because their staffs stick around, and they have a high percentage of vets (these vets could be Blue Devils/Cadets vets or vets that have marched drum corps in the past).

Yes, judges are humans, and they probably do make unintentional biases, but I doubt that any judge is playing favorites. It's their job not to play favorites. I doubt there is a such thing as a drum corps lobbyist

Kasey...I appreciate the cogent analysis. Thank You.

Edited by HornTeacher