Spirit of Atlanta

I made the short drive today to attend Spirit's memorial day cookout. I wasn't there for the food, I wanted to hear some drum corps. The corps performed a standstill of the music for their show Magnolia. To me and its just my opinion, this is not going to be the Spirit of the last four years. There is no cheesy gimmick or at least what I could tell with no visual or drill. They are marching 72 horns, 42 guard, 8 snares, 5 quads, 5 bases, and 5 cymbals, and I think 11 or 12 in the pit. Also 4 drum majors. Their director described each piece of music before they began. He asked the audience to close their eyes as he described an empty field and pre recorded singing of "Down to the river and pray" begins with the corps and guard (described wearing lime green) emerge from the tunnel. The corps then came in with a hit of the hymn that was powerful. They also use a trombone soloist that accompanies an extremely talented trumpet player who screams like no other and totally overshadows the trombone. (They should re-think this). I know it was extremely hot, and I don't think I passed out, but I did not hear a ballad. If any of you smarter and wiser heard a ballad fill me in. The new uniform was unveiled and it looked great. I don't know where this corps will place. Love to hear others opinions who also attended.

• Like 4

I made the short drive today to attend Spirit's memorial day cookout. I wasn't there for the food, I wanted to hear some drum corps. The corps performed a standstill of the music for their show Magnolia. To me and its just my opinion, this is not going to be the Spirit of the last four years. There is no cheesy gimmick or at least what I could tell with no visual or drill. They are marching 72 horns, 42 guard, 8 snares, 5 quads, 5 bases, and 5 cymbals, and I think 11 or 12 in the pit. Also 4 drum majors. Their director described each piece of music before they began. He asked the audience to close their eyes as he described an empty field and pre recorded singing of "Down to the river and pray" begins with the corps and guard (described wearing lime green) emerge from the tunnel. The corps then came in with a hit of the hymn that was powerful. They also use a trombone soloist that accompanies an extremely talented trumpet player who screams like no other and totally overshadows the trombone. (They should re-think this). I know it was extremely hot, and I don't think I passed out, but I did not hear a ballad. If any of you smarter and wiser heard a ballad fill me in. The new uniform was unveiled and it looked great. I don't know where this corps will place. Love to hear others opinions who also attended.

I loved just reading your description!

• Like 1

Given that its all of three days into their spring training, I'm thinking its a little early to need to "re-think" anything at this point. That being said, I've heard really good things about the show, the corps progress, and the students. I'm excited to see what Spirit does with the show.

Given that its all of three days into their spring training, I'm thinking its a little early to need to "re-think" anything at this point. That being said, I've heard really good things about the show, the corps progress, and the students. I'm excited to see what Spirit does with the show.

Actually, it's more like a day and a half. No one was allowed on campus on Friday from 4:30 to 11 PM because of the HS Graduation. So they really only had Saturday and Sunday till 3 PM to put final touches on things.

Of course, now the intense training starts so I expect to see a big difference between now and the full dress Preview Show before going on tour. I really enjoyed what was presented on Sunday, so watch out!

To some, 2011 was a fluke, they were expected to fall from finals in 2012 and 2013, at least according to preseason predictions, including predictions from some who visited rehearsals. So I'll be safe and hold off on predicting a less than stellar season for Spirit. August 10th may be the best day to predict as far ads Spirit is concerned.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I thought they were at first too, not too small. 4 Marimba's, 4 Vibes, Xylo, Timpani, Synth. No huge rack/percussion set up is what I think makes it look pretty compact.

Maybe not quite as small as they look, but 11 is still on the small side. Don't most larger corps have about 15 in the front ensemble?