Spirit of Atlanta

Was anyone there for the preview. Not much news from their camp. Very secret squirrel. Have also heard that horn line is starting to dwindle with drop outs.

Looks like 10 Tubas in this pic.. but this number still should be sufficient enough if they play well.

How much of pit keyboards are played in unison, vs different parts? If unison, I would think they would only need one of each & can control volume w/ the soundboard.

Personally, I think the 2 Madison marched in 1975 were about right, but that is the reason I am a dinosaur.

Yep, Dueling Banjos is still one of my all-time favorite drum breaks.

• Like 1

How much of pit keyboards are played in unison, vs different parts? If unison, I would think they would only need one of each & can control volume w/ the soundboard.

Personally, I think the 2 Madison marched in 1975 were about right, but that is the reason I am a dinosaur.

You only need 3 trumpets for most arrangements as well, but I'm pretty sure you want to hear as much of the natural sound of the instrument as possible.

• Like 1

New paint job for the food truck!

10462621_10154245804510293_7174659534412

Looks great, but I'm not sure why they would feature the new uniform if it'll just change again in another 3-5 years. Then it'll just look silly, like Madison's truck did with a uniform the corps hadn't worn in nearly a decade.

Looks like 10 Tubas in this pic.. but this number still should be sufficient enough if they play well.

10 is fine when they're being backed/doubled by a synthesizer :-(

10 is fine when they're being backed/doubled by a synthesizer :-(

They've had a couple injuries, but fully expect to field a line of 12.

And they're actually not being doubled by synth as much as in the past. I listened to them doing bopped segments in full music ensemble, and while the synth did add in on a long chord, it was at a more balanced range, and not that much the sub bass range. In fact, the staff and players themselves are experimenting with a few players splitting down an octave to that sub bass range. If you get a chance, try and listen for it during warm ups - it's really cool!

• Like 1