Spirit of Atlanta Brass Team 2014 ?

Hi All,

Real quick question.

Ever since Spirit of Atlanta announced the plans for their 2014 show I have been

cautiously excitied about it. Their corps (Brassline in particular) has been really strong and to hear them let loose on what they have planned for 2014 should be awesome!!

However....

One item I believe I read about 8 - 9 months ago is there have been changes to the brass staff (I think the cap head is no longer with them). This is a bit of a concern of mine.

Is there anyone out there in the know who could shed some light on how the brass is coming along?

PS

Sorry if this is written like a 3rd grader...did this quick and dirty....

• Like 1

There have been several staff changes at Spirit this year, but most of them are "up-top" changes...administrators and caption heads taking a break/retiring and active day-to-day staff being promoted in their place. That being said, yes, the brass staff is more new than old. Two techs have been retained from the 2013 staff, but there are two new caption heads, Errick Prince and Michael Terry, as well as a large crew of new techs. Personnel wise, several vets are returning, some for their fourth or fifth seasons. The screamer soloist from 2013 is aging out this year, and he's gotten even better and is playing in a more featured setting.

Yes, I agree that Andy Putnam and his staff were excellent people and great teachers. I owe a lot of my success back in 2011 and continuing on in my DCA career to them. But this new staff is just as good, if not better. Hornline sounds powerful and is being developed with the right sensibilities for the show this year. Southern, soulful jazz is a major part of the show this year, and I'm reminded positively of the Spirit sound of the 80s from the current hornline.

• Like 1

There have been several staff changes at Spirit this year, but most of them are "up-top" changes...administrators and caption heads taking a break/retiring and active day-to-day staff being promoted in their place. That being said, yes, the brass staff is more new than old. Two techs have been retained from the 2013 staff, but there are two new caption heads, Errick Prince and Michael Terry, as well as a large crew of new techs. Personnel wise, several vets are returning, some for their fourth or fifth seasons. The screamer soloist from 2013 is aging out this year, and he's gotten even better and is playing in a more featured setting.

Yes, I agree that Andy Putnam and his staff were excellent people and great teachers. I owe a lot of my success back in 2011 and continuing on in my DCA career to them. But this new staff is just as good, if not better. Hornline sounds powerful and is being developed with the right sensibilities for the show this year. Southern, soulful jazz is a major part of the show this year, and I'm reminded positively of the Spirit sound of the 80s from the current hornline.

Thanks for the very detailed update....sounds like they are on track for another strong year.

BTW...looking forward to seeing Atlanta CV at the Cab's Grand Prix show in July.....

Thanks for the very detailed update....sounds like they are on track for another strong year.

BTW...looking forward to seeing Atlanta CV at the Cab's Grand Prix show in July.....

We're excited to be there too. It's a stacked show and we're looking to impress! Looking to be a great year for any corps from the South!