Oh Woe is Me - Blue Knights

Jeremy, what section did u march? Some of my friends who were in the corps with u in 2000 don't remember u?

You're conveniently putting words in a lot of people's mouths... Show me where I said that we should all just be greatful to be in the conversation and not do what it takes to win?

Answer: you won't find it... Truth is you have no idea what the corps thinks or does to recruit. If you did you'd see that the very same things you're railing on- They're doing! They've recruited very well and are very excited about the future with the current staff and design team. They have an incredible young talent in JC Caseras who is now in his second year of writing drill. The relationship with Bocook is fantastic and has them poised. What more can they do.... You say it's all about selling the corps and the plan of winning but it's not quite that simple. People don't bail because they hate BK, they bail because there are only so many storied and proven winners our there. Can it be done? Yes.... Does BK want this and are they building with this in mind? Absolutely!! I know for a fact the BK staff and design team do not design shows with intentions if staying 10th place. But again, instead of blistering our corps why not talk to the corps/staff/other alum and volunteer... Perhaps you could lead them to the title

Jeremy, what section did u march? Some of my friends who were in the corps with u in 2000 don't remember u?

You're conveniently putting words in a lot of people's mouths... Show me where I said that we should all just be greatful to be in the conversation and not do what it takes to win?

Answer: you won't find it... Truth is you have no idea what the corps thinks or does to recruit. If you did you'd see that the very same things you're railing on- They're doing! They've recruited very well and are very excited about the future with the current staff and design team. They have an incredible young talent in JC Caseras who is now in his second year of writing drill. The relationship with Bocook is fantastic and has them poised. What more can they do.... You say it's all about selling the corps and the plan of winning but it's not quite that simple. People don't bail because they hate BK, they bail because there are only so many storied and proven winners our there. Can it be done? Yes.... Does BK want this and are they building with this in mind? Absolutely!! I know for a fact the BK staff and design team do not design shows with intentions if staying 10th place. But again, instead of blistering our corps why not talk to the corps/staff/other alum and volunteer... Perhaps you could lead them to the title

Maybe so, Wes. Hopefully this year proves me wrong.

Soprano Bugle - I was there. I have tons of pictures of me in front of the tour bus, on and off the field. We had a Japanese girl from Kyoto named Ryori that year as well. Why the investigative reporting?

Edited by noblegaijin

Just don't know you and some of my buds were in from 97/98- 01 just couldn't place u that's all... No hidden agenda

You make it sound as if BK getting 9th place is some kind of new phenomenon. I'm not talking about snapping fingers here. This is now a decades old tradition. BK had the stage set in 2001 and blew it with poorly conceived ideas about what constitutes "entertaining". One could argue they had a similar chance coming off of Avian only to see them settle back into the quicksand.

Because I don't volunteer to be a brass tech, I suppose I don't have a valid opinion, correct?

My old roommate had a saying when we'd watch baseball together. Any time our team would get beat, he'd say "they're allowed to play baseball too". You don't think every other corps in world class is trying to move up? Its not as simple as you seem to think it is. The suggestion that you get on staff was simply a reference to the fact that you seem to think you know how to fix it. You're here pretty much bashing everything your corps does, from membership retention to design decisions, but are refusing to accept that maybe getting above the top ten isn't the easiest thing in the world to achieve. If it were, it wouldn't be the top ten, or the top 6. Management and staff can talk until they're blue in the face about how the corps is a family and members should stick around, but the fact is, if a kid wants a medal around his neck, he's more likely to go somewhere where he thinks that's going to happen. That's not a Blue Knights problem, its a cultural reality in our activity.

It takes a lot of hard work, planning, and frankly, a lot of luck for that kind of program development to happen. Crown happened to be able to pick up the right guy for that brass program at the right time. But that's not the only thing that played a role in the development of that program. He had to get the right members to show up to auditions. Those members had to have a reason to stay. He had to bring in the right staff, and those staff members had to have a reason to stay and develop a rapport with the membership. The corps also had to have the right design staff for the instructional staff. That pairing had to work well together, and develop a relationship that would also grow to the next level of instruction and design. All of that is just to develop a championship BRASS program, not to mention guard, visual design, percussion etc.

Look at the development of a baseball franchise. Its not so simple as to just say "I think we'll win the world series this year". You can spend all the money you want on free agents, but if the free agents you need aren't available, or are offered more money or a better situation elsewhere, you're out of luck. You can pour all the resources you want into your player development program, but sometimes your prospects just don't pan out. Sure, you can chose to invest more money, and that will improve your chances of signing free agents, or increase how much you can spend on development, but at the end of the day, the players and coaches have to play the game. The Yankees have been the number one spending franchise in the majors for over a decade. They've won precisely ONE world series in that time frame.

You think you have the answers? Call Blue Knights. I'm sure they'd love to hear from a concerned alumni.

• Like 1

My old roommate had a saying when we'd watch baseball together. Any time our team would get beat, he'd say "they're allowed to play baseball too". You don't think every other corps in world class is trying to move up? Its not as simple as you seem to think it is. The suggestion that you get on staff was simply a reference to the fact that you seem to think you know how to fix it. You're here pretty much bashing everything your corps does, from membership retention to design decisions, but are refusing to accept that maybe getting above the top ten isn't the easiest thing in the world to achieve. If it were, it wouldn't be the top ten, or the top 6. Management and staff can talk until they're blue in the face about how the corps is a family and members should stick around, but the fact is, if a kid wants a medal around his neck, he's more likely to go somewhere where he thinks that's going to happen. That's not a Blue Knights problem, its a cultural reality in our activity.

It takes a lot of hard work, planning, and frankly, a lot of luck for that kind of program development to happen. Crown happened to be able to pick up the right guy for that brass program at the right time. But that's not the only thing that played a role in the development of that program. He had to get the right members to show up to auditions. Those members had to have a reason to stay. He had to bring in the right staff, and those staff members had to have a reason to stay and develop a rapport with the membership. The corps also had to have the right design staff for the instructional staff. That pairing had to work well together, and develop a relationship that would also grow to the next level of instruction and design. All of that is just to develop a championship BRASS program, not to mention guard, visual design, percussion etc.

Look at the development of a baseball franchise. Its not so simple as to just say "I think we'll win the world series this year". You can spend all the money you want on free agents, but if the free agents you need aren't available, or are offered more money or a better situation elsewhere, you're out of luck. You can pour all the resources you want into your player development program, but sometimes your prospects just don't pan out. Sure, you can chose to invest more money, and that will improve your chances of signing free agents, or increase how much you can spend on development, but at the end of the day, the players and coaches have to play the game. The Yankees have been the number one spending franchise in the majors for over a decade. They've won precisely ONE world series in that time frame.

You think you have the answers? Call Blue Knights. I'm sure they'd love to hear from a concerned alumni.

And I pay credence to all of the points you just made. It isn't easy. It does take substantial planning. I'm simply stating that the overall trajectory of the corps has been flat for many years now and I don't think it's a coincidence.

Sitting back and admiring the problem's difficulty is not a solution.

Just don't know you and some of my buds were in from 97/98- 01 just couldn't place u that's all... No hidden agenda

Ha - not sure I am that memorable. I was fairly quiet until the tail end of the season when I started getting comfortable with everyone. Was painfully shy back then.

I remember your name somehow - did you work with the Euphoniums?

So, you're not going to Drums this year?

And I pay credence to all of the points you just made. It isn't easy. It does take substantial planning. I'm simply stating that the overall trajectory of the corps has been flat for many years now and I don't think it's a coincidence.

Sitting back and admiring the problem's difficulty is not a solution.

Neither is complaining on a message board...

As for your reference to their trajectory - the same could be said for:

Spirit of Atlanta

Blue Stars (barring the one year they popped up to number 8)

Troopers

Crossmen

Colts

Or for that matter:

Vanguard

Bluecoats

Phantom Regiment

Most corps live in between a few placements, and it takes (as I said) a certain amount of the stars aligning to move up and stay up.

Neither is complaining on a message board...

As for your reference to their trajectory - the same could be said for:

Spirit of Atlanta

Blue Stars (barring the one year they popped up to number 8)

Troopers

Crossmen

Colts

Or for that matter:

Vanguard

Bluecoats

Phantom Regiment

Most corps live in between a few placements, and it takes (as I said) a certain amount of the stars aligning to move up and stay up.

There were 3 or so years Blue Stars were at 8. Le Tour, Factory, Houdini

Noblegaijin,

My son, Craig Sellers marched with the Blue Knights '98 - '01, lead sop. He's with Rance who played euph and with J. Buck, the caption head in 2000. They're teaching 'The Colts' this summer. I was wondering if you remember them?

Craig went back and taught at the Blue Knights for years, they are competitive and I think it's a great organization.

Sorry this didn't attach to Noblegaijin's as a quote, learning curve this year I guess.

Edited by Tricia-A BD/BK Mom