Oh Woe is Me - Blue Knights

I know right? 2000 was a VERY entertaining year too. To be fair, 1999 was the highest score they ever achieved at 92.500, but it was at that lowly 7th place. 6th place and a 92.000 was much better.

(Honestly, those two shows were just incredible so I don't understand the complaining)

I agree, I was blessed my son was in both shows and I went to both finals. Good times!

I was supposed to age out in 99.... Was stuck with one course left on my college plate, PoliSci.... Rather than having to go a full semester to take 1 class I went to summer school and missed my bonus year ageout. Ironically I took a job to revamp the marching technique of my old HS which I knew sealed my fate. Once I commit to something I don't give it up.... So when BK came through and had a soprano opening I declined.... Ironically the head director at my former hs really wanted me to change the marching package whereas the asst dir (who taught me in hs) did not. I was sick to my stomach and watched from afar as BK ripped it up that summer!

• Like 1

I don't care what your investment is in the other corps. That wasn't the point. The point is that all of those corps are trying to achieve the exact same thing. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you do if the other team does it better. But you don't want to hear that. You want to suggest that your corps isn't doing what they think will get them to the next level. It doesn't seem to register that they're competing with several other corps with the same objectives, not to mention some very well established corps that have an advantage in terms of recruiting and sustained success. This is now the 10th page of you refusing to listen to several sensible posters who have pointed all of this out. Again, if you think you have the answer, call the corps. Bashing them on a public forum is unprofessional, and inappropriate and if I were an alumni of your corps I'd be embarrassed.

Do you watch sports? Have a favorite football team? Ever find yourself frustrated by a boneheaded draft pick or roster change in the offseason or perhaps poor coaching? Ever vocally protested? Ever screamed at the tv after watching something like that go down?

By protesting choices made by your favorite team are you less of a fan?

I was supposed to age out in 99.... Was stuck with one course left on my college plate, PoliSci.... Rather than having to go a full semester to take 1 class I went to summer school and missed my bonus year ageout. Ironically I took a job to revamp the marching technique of my old HS which I knew sealed my fate. Once I commit to something I don't give it up.... So when BK came through and had a soprano opening I declined.... Ironically the head director at my former hs really wanted me to change the marching package whereas the asst dir (who taught me in hs) did not. I was sick to my stomach and watched from afar as BK ripped it up that summer!

Bummer

............... I'm simply stating that the overall trajectory of the corps has been flat for many years now and I don't think it's a coincidence.

Sitting back and admiring the problem's difficulty is not a solution.

I would suggest to simply start your own drum corps; and then operate as you think best.

Do you watch sports? Have a favorite football team? Ever find yourself frustrated by a boneheaded draft pick or roster change in the offseason or perhaps poor coaching? Ever vocally protested? Ever screamed at the tv after watching something like that go down?

By protesting choices made by your favorite team are you less of a fan?

Sure I watch sports and have favorite teams. But no. I don't vocally protest with 11 pages of complaining on a public message board when I don't think they made the right call. Why? They get paid to do this stuff for a living. I don't. They're the experts. I'm not.

The biggest difference however, is that you actually represent Blue Knights as a former member. Again, if I were a member, or alumni of Blue Knights, your childish whining and public criticism of the corps in the manner would be embarrassing.

• Like 4

I am not the biggest Blue Knights fan, and will admit of the top 12, they are one of the corps I follow least because they do not come to New England that often and I have not had the opportunity to get "up close and personal" with them i.e watch them rehearse, talk with parents/instructors, etc. And I will admit that there have been times their shows have made me scratch my head and wonder what I saw and heard. However, the original poster makes it sound as if the corps is devoid of any personal appeal or familiar music. A quick glance of Corpsreps shows this is not the case and since they have yet to place in the top 5, winning is not everything for the corps but they still seem to recruit, and if memory serves me correctly, the corps saved a spot for a young woman who had to sit out the season due to cancer and Greg Kuzma's book does not make being in BK sound like drudgery (granted that's a few years back). All in all, it seems like a good organization.

• Like 1

I have been following this thread over these past days, and have held my peace because I thought the OP would let it go, but that obviously has not occurred. I have no contacts whatever with members or staff of BK, so one might say that I don't have a dog in this hunt. Having said that, if a former member of the corps that I have been connected with for more than 35 years engaged in this kind of public recrimination of my corps, I would be livid.

Yes, this is a public discussion forum. However, as far as I am concerned, the issues voiced in this thread represents a conversation better held within the BK organization. Is there no corps director to approach? How about the BK Board of Directors? I just think that particularly as the 2014 drum corps prepares to take the field, this public dirty laundry side show is a detriment to this year's members.

Most drum corps like to regard themselves as families. This is no way to treat the family whom you claim to love.

• Like 3

Sure I watch sports and have favorite teams. But no. I don't vocally protest with 11 pages of complaining on a public message board when I don't think they made the right call. Why? They get paid to do this stuff for a living. I don't. They're the experts. I'm not.

The biggest difference however, is that you actually represent Blue Knights as a former member. Again, if I were a member, or alumni of Blue Knights, your childish whining and public criticism of the corps in the manner would be embarrassing.

Oh dear....some people just can't take criticism well. I'd say that some interesting dialog came out of these 11 pages, even if I don't personally agree with some of the points made. I really don't understand where the need was for personal attacks, Atucker. It's disappointing that you would attack my character even if you passionately disagree with my stance. Best of luck to you.

• Like 1

I would suggest to simply start your own drum corps; and then operate as you think best.

With this logic in place, I hope you never criticize the company you work for, your government, or your favorite team. Unless of course you wish to start your own.

• Like 1