Corps average placement

I'm bored at work....really bored. So I was wondering what is the average placement of each corps. The criteria is that they must have made finals at least once. Been in World Class/D1 at least 10 years. Some corps didn't make the 10 years such as Kilties, Star of Indiana and Kingsmen. Many corps scored high in the 20's and 30's in the 70's but rose as the activity declined. Blue Coats, Blue Knights, Colts et al. Troopers may be the most inconsistent corps going from a mid 20 cors the the top 12 back to the mid 20's.

1 Blue Devils 3.02

2 Vanguard 3.94

3 Phantom 5.05

4 Cavaliers 5.6

5 Cadets 5.61

6 Madison 7.56

7 27th Lancers 7.66

8 Crown 11.66

9 Freelancers 12.15

10 Crossmen 12.24

11 Spirit 12.41

12 Bridgemen 12.76

13 Blue Coats 13.29

14 Blue Stars 13.95

15 Suncoast Sound 14.18

16 Blue Knights 14.86

17 Velvet Knights 15.80

18 Sky Ryders 15.94

19 Boston Crusaders 16.63

20 Troopers 16.89

21 Glassmen 17.56

22 Colts 19.31

What does this all mean.....nothing really. I was bored...really really really bored today and it killed a good hour.

I wouldn't have guessed that Phantom would have been a higher average than Cadets and Cavies, with all the championships that those corps have between them. Phantom has been so consistent over the history of DCI. Also, think of how consistent you have to be to AVERAGE third place at finals.

• Like 1

People know the corps of today as powerhouses but many were "not as talented" as today. Cadets were not a consistent top 12 corps until the late 70's. Colts, Blue Knights, Boston were around 25-35 most years until the late 80's mid 90's. 27 was a very consistent corps until the end. Like Bridgemen the end came very quickly unlike Blue Stars that had some very bad years (for lack of a better term) until they came back into the top 25.

Annnnddd....BD a model of consistency. That happens when you haven't placed lower than 5th since the 9th place in 1974....and even THAT 5th place was an anomoly.

75-86: between 1st and 3rd in 12 years (Ave placement 1.75)

87-93: between 3rd and 5th in 7 years (Ave placement 4...the dark years)

94-present: between 1st and 3rd, with a single 4th placing (that was the 05 show...inda deserved it) in 20 years (Ave placement 1.85)

No one else has been that consistent in the Jr ranks AFAIK.

A 12-year avg. placement of 1.75...

A 20-year avg. placement of 1.85????

The only thing I can think of that rivals those kind of numbers would be Bob Gibson's ERA of 1.12 in 1968.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

@BlackStar- regarding corps placement averages, maybe I misread the point of your list, but don't forget that prior to 1972 the "generally recognized" national championships were the VFW and the American Legion. Cadets won Legion in 1940-48-49-50-53-57-60-61-62-64; plus, I believe, one VFW title. The Cavaliers and Blessed Sacrament also were extremely successful during those years. If your intent was not to include those years in your list, I apologize for my misunderstanding.

@BlackStar- regarding corps placement averages, maybe I misread the point of your list, but don't forget that prior to 1972 the "generally recognized" national championships were the VFW and the American Legion. Cadets won Legion in 1940-48-49-50-53-57-60-61-62-64; plus, I believe, one VFW title. The Cavaliers and Blessed Sacrament also were extremely successful during those years. If your intent was not to include those years in your list, I apologize for my misunderstanding.

I'm thinking it's during the DCI period.