Drone wars

Oh, I loved those Estes rockets. I was in the model rocket club in Jr High...our teacher took us out to the field and set up this huge multi-stage rocket...the thing went about 5 feet in the air, took a 90 degree turn towards us, and chased us all off the field! :tounge2:

Thats because you all were naughty and the teacher decided one day to take you all out to a field and kill you all with his newly concocted rocket launcher.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Does anyone else find these pointless? Corps have cleaned drill without them for years and by the looks of it, and set of those things like the Cavies have is an waste of one person's tour fees.

If we really want to get down to it, just about everything in drum corps is "pointless." I see this as corps staffers having fun during spring training & coming up with a really cool, creative way to make promo videos (which might mean corps can write them off as business expenses).

Make sure to donate to our annual campaign and put money in the donation jar because we're so desperate for funds!

But we can buy multiple drone quadcopters...

I have no info on this, but I suspect that the videographer is just a contractor. And I suspect that the drones are the property of the videographer (e.g., maybe they use them for outdoor weddings or other events). And further, I suspect that the videographers are probably not getting paid wedding rates when working with drum corps (so the cost of the drones may not necessarily be passed on to the corps).

I assume the drones are only used for promo videos and tour dvds - do we know that they are actually being used to clean drill?

Wow... all we had was a 'repurposed' KFC Chicken bucket tied to a helium balloon. :wink: :wink:

Being an old still shooter, I am enjoying the images that are being collected by these fancy flying machines.

If we really want to get down to it, just about everything in drum corps is "pointless." I see this as corps staffers having fun during spring training & coming up with a really cool, creative way to make promo videos (which might mean corps can write them off as business expenses).

Tax exempt organizations write off 100% of their expenses.

Food, trucks, unis, horns, drums, everything.

Maybe I'm late but just today I discovered the Scouts have a drone as well. The DCI facebook page is trying to make #dronewars a thing

I'm a little skeptical about that one. I looks like someone just got on top of a building. That can't be more than 30 feet off the ground.

I'm a little skeptical about that one. I looks like someone just got on top of a building. That can't be more than 30 feet off the ground.

I have the reverse sort of skepticism. Considering the theme of their show, I suspect they're using a classified anti-gravity drone.