When did a uniform become a costume

I was just thinking the Crossmen are getting a new "uniform" this year after wearing the current version for the last 10 years. As I think back I believe the Cadets, Vanguard and Boston seem to maintain a semblance of a uniform. With all the sighting, It feels more and more we are going to costumes for the Brass and Drum sections?

Flame on

One person's "uniform" is another person's "costume." In the drum corps sense, combining the theatricality of a more "costumed" look onto an existing militaristic "uniform" has been going on for decades. Credit (or blame, depending on how you look at it) Bobby Hoffman, I guess. What the Bridgemen did with those iconic uniforms in the mid to late 70's changed the way many designers went about outfitting their corps forever. Regardless, it's all pretty much a hybrid these days anyway. Even the Cadets uniforms are no longer made of wool like their original cadet-style West Point uniforms were made at the time.

When opening this topic based on the title, I thought it would be about color guard. Alas I was wrong.

Uniform: everything is the same. All alike. From Mirriam-Webster's: : presenting an unvaried appearance of surface, pattern, or color <uniform red brick houses>

Costume: : the clothes that are worn by someone (such as an actor) who is trying to look like a different person or thing

Corps proper are still wearing uniforms. Whether or not they are military-style or not is a different matter, but you can't say they aren't wearing uniforms. As for the color guards, they are the ones who it's changed from uniform to costume.

• Like 2

IMO, calling something a "costume" because you don't like how it looks is about as closed minded as it gets.

• Like 2

I was just thinking the Crossmen are getting a new "uniform" this year after wearing the current version for the last 10 years. As I think back I believe the Cadets, Vanguard and Boston seem to maintain a semblance of a uniform. With all the sighting, It feels more and more we are going to costumes for the Brass and Drum sections?

Simple: the Crossmen wear a uniform. The guy who stands in the backfield bleachers in a skull mask spreading his cape open before they begin performing is wearing a costume. :tounge2:

• Like 3

I think an argument can be made that Phantom's new...outfits are just costumes that every member happens to wear. So, like, a uniform costume. Costumed uniformity. Something.

(This is just a really bad joke, I promise.

Like Phantom's new uniforms! Whoa!

I'm sorry.)