When did a uniform become a costume

"Oh no! A thread is making me uncomfortable! Instead of ignoring it I better post this .gif/video so everyone can know just how bunched up my panties are!"

Anyways it's been a slow transition from uniform to costume. Or not necessarily towards costumes but to what you might call "disposable uniforms" or at least uniforms that can be dramatically altered from year to year to fit a theme. From an artistic standpoint I can see how it makes sense. But from a marketing stanpoint I don't know if putting everyone in colorful onesie PJs is the best way for drum corps to move forward.

• Like 1

In my opinion, the "costume" that Crown had on last year is miles better than the traditional military style uniform the Cadets have been using since the beginning of time. I love the trend towards more creative and modern uniforms. To each their own.

"Oh no! A thread is making me uncomfortable! Instead of ignoring it I better post this .gif/video so everyone can know just how bunched up my panties are!"

It was more for comic relief than anything. This topic really has been beaten up in multiple posts though... People should just give it a rest. Some people will like uniform changes and others won't. Complaining on this forum about it won't make a corps change their mind. Your complaints are better suited to go straight to the corps itself.

• Like 2

It was more for comic relief than anything. This topic really has been beaten up in multiple posts though... People should just give it a rest. Some people will like uniform changes and others won't. Complaining on this forum about it won't make a corps change their mind. Your complaints are better suited to go straight to the corps itself.

You seem to be confused by the idea of a discussion forum. It's for discussing things. There's no expectation that corps will change their minds because of it. If a discussion makes you uncomfortable, as this one clearly does, you can ignore it instead of posting that lame, tired old .gif.

I'm glad Cadets have their old uniforms. I'm glad Crown is trying out something new. There's room in drum corps for both styles. I wouldn't want to see every corps in West Point unis, and I wouldn't want to see everyone in WGI jammies either.

• Like 1

You seem to be confused by the idea of a discussion forum. It's for discussing things. There's no expectation that corps will change their minds because of it. If a discussion makes you uncomfortable, as this one clearly does, you can ignore it instead of posting that lame, tired old .gif.

I'm glad Cadets have their old uniforms. I'm glad Crown is trying out something new. There's room in drum corps for both styles. I wouldn't want to see every corps in West Point unis, and I wouldn't want to see everyone in WGI jammies either.

You seem to be promoting diversity in uniforms. So tell me, why would 20 different and unique "WGI jammies" be bad for the activity compared to having some military unis and some modern unis?

You seem to be promoting diversity in uniforms. So tell me, why would 20 different and unique "WGI jammies" be bad for the activity compared to having some military unis and some modern unis?

Huh? Not promoting anything other than my personal preference. I like diversity. A bunch of colorful onesies would be no more or less diverse than everyone dressing up in different colored faux-Cadet unis. Though from an outside appeal standpoint I feel that military-style uniforms go over better than WGI-style costuming, which is so often a comical mix of bizarre and corny.

. Though from an outside appeal standpoint I feel that military-style uniforms go over better than WGI-style costuming, which is so often a comical mix of bizarre and corny.

I'd say so. It would be difficult to make the case that some of the costuming in modern Drum Corps doesn't make a lot of people scratch their heads and go " who came up with that bizarre cornball costume ? "

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1