When did a uniform become a costume

Aw come on Brasso, I'm sure everyone knows by now that I'm not much of a drum corps traditionalist :cool:

I know.. and you're a good DCP poster in my book........ despite your traitorous and libertine thinking that has me believe on occasion that you should be tied up to a cactus bush in Death Valley to be left there to suffer the heat of a thousand suns out there....... (. haha!.)

Edited by BRASSO

I was referring to the claim, in another thread, that "costuming" (meaning disposable WGI-style uniforms in this context) were the best way for DCI to "move forward" and "appeal to outsiders". This claim is mystifying since it seems to me that most true outsiders would more easily connect with a more traditional uniform as opposed to a colorful jumpsuit. That, of course, is just my gut feeling. I only have anectodal evidence to support it.

#purplepantsband is a hashtag that's overwhelmingly used by Crown's legion of loyal high school band kids. So not outsiders at all. It really has no bearing on what I'm trying to say.

#purplepantsband is more an alumni gag that just happened to catch on (we used to call ourselves the Cream Band). I think a lot of high school kids still cringe when they hear it - especially the ones that think they really know what drum corps is all about. Tee shirt sales may prove otherwise, though.

I misinterpreted, I thought you were more talking about marketing an identity to the incoming drum corps fandom (high school kids). Cavaliers and Cadets have had their identities for so, so long that they're immediately recognizable across decades of photo and video. On the contrary, groups like Star and Crown have periods of uniformity from year to year, but they're hardly comparable to the aforementioned groups. I could see the concerns over changing the uniform so drastically and confusing someone new to the activity, but I don't think the uniform style will push away those that are not familiar with the marching arts because of the "less-traditional" look. If anything, it's a point of differentiation from something like traditional high school or college marching bands.

That said, it's my contention that the activity should stop trying to pander to a broader outside audience that is more enamored with Ke$ha than Stravinsky.

That said, it's my contention that the activity should stop trying to pander to a broader outside audience that is more enamored with Ke$ha than Stravinsky.

Sure beats hearing David Holsinger and Eric Whitacre every year, though.

Mike

And I thought you'd be more of a chess guy.

I play chess, when you're not even aware of it..

I think he is more of a chest guy. :augen51:

I'll have you know this comment of yours has no legs.

• Like 1