SCV 2014

I never thought I could be disappointed by a JD Shaw book... until now. What a huge disappointment gang.

I'm somewhat with you on this. I really don't see anything new musically relative to 2004, nor do I think it flows as well (though this should improve by August).

Key Poulan had a ton of critics on here - do you really think the brass arrangements have improved significantly since he was dismissed? I just don't see it (and I'm a big Shaw fan).

I'm somewhat with you on this. I really don't see anything new musically relative to 2004, nor do I think it flows as well (though this should improve by August).

Key Poulan had a ton of critics on here - do you really think the brass arrangements have improved significantly since he was dismissed? I just don't see it (and I'm a big Shaw fan).

Couldn't agree with you more. I've been incredibly disappointed with JD's arrangements since he's began writing for SCV.

The problem is we are comparing an unfinished 2014 first performance with a polished and refinished 2004 finals performance. Don't you think we should give them a little time before we start writing them off?

The problem is we are comparing an unfinished 2014 first performance with a polished and refinished 2004 finals performance. Don't you think we should give them a little time before we start writing them off?

Not necessarily. 2004 wasn't that long ago and I still have a beginning of season recording. Bits and pieces of arrangements change but usually not a whole lot.

Couldn't agree with you more. I've been incredibly disappointed with JD's arrangements since he's began writing for SCV.

Last year's was great IMO, and 2012 was not bad. This year, like I said, it just feels like he's trying to do way too much with the music. And then in moments where there could be an awesome impact, nothing happens...

Not necessarily. 2004 wasn't that long ago and I still have a beginning of season recording. Bits and pieces of arrangements change but usually not a whole lot.

I have hope though. I've noticed that JD tends to change the music more than most though. Maybe that's just me.

Edited by cmathis

Wow I think JD Shaw has wriiten 2 fantastic books so far with SCV and this year look to be amazing again. Last year and this year he has taken music that has been played many times in iconic performances, and made them sound exciting and to me almost new, and made them fit SCV style. That is not an easy thing to do!!

• Like 2

I think JD's arrangements in 2012 and 2013 were fantastic. This year.....not sure yet. The 2004 SCV was one of my favorites from SC. I still much prefer the 2004 arrangements but I'll hold back on the final judgment until August.

I think from a dirt standpoint, SCV's visual is ahead of last year at this time. I thought a lot of it was nice but to be honest, the backdrops did look a little like... (I would insert that famous clip from the movie Austin Powers 2 but I think it's not suitable for the forum).

They use the title "Scheherazade - Words 2 to Live By." There are two visuals with the number "2." Aside from that, there doesn't seem to be anything much in the show referencing a continuation of the story. Is there a plan to add narration so at least there's some word's to live by?

This entire show is a train wreck. Feels like they hacked the 2004 show for the sake of hacking it.If you're going to rehash a show, you #### well better make sure its better than the first time you played it, otherwise people will make that comparison. Unfortunately, this one falls way short of 2004.

That’s about the last thing I wanted to hear

I think JD and I should have a chat over a beer, he has confused me post Regiment