SCV 2014

Anyone know anything about the two horn holes? They have been there for a while.

Yeah this. One seems to float... But that euph hole has been there for a while now.

I had to read it a few times but I get it!! Agreed

Oh I'm dumb. I get it. I wouldn't say I agree. I think SCV's brass is slightly better in comparison to the rest of the corps than Crown's drumline. Just slightly. I don't think SCV's brassline is really holding them down as much as the Crown percussion. Key word is slightly here.

I agree DrumManTX . . . that drum line is purring like happy kittens. They make it looks sooo easy. SCV sounds like Crown's drumline and SCV drumline sounds like Crown's brassline.

I'm no brass guy, but don't think I'd say SCV's brass is _that_ much "worse" than the corps around them.

• Like 1

I'm no brass guy, but don't think I'd say SCV's brass is _that_ much "worse" than the corps around them.

I have only heard SCV on FN, but I do think they have some articulation and ensemble problems, compared with the other top corps. The mellos had some nasty fracks early in the Atlanta show, unacceptable for this time of year.

There is a YouTube vid with parking lot versions of the Crown, BD and SCV horn lines. Even an untrained ear can hear the obvious superiority of Crown's brass in articulation and ensemble playing, and the amazing musicality of BD's line. By comparison, SCV sounds relatively fuzzy and fracky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKCBCcGuhMk

SCV has a wonderful, rich sound, but they are a touch below the top dogs.

• Like 1

I have only heard SCV on FN, but I do think they have some articulation and ensemble problems, compared with the other top corps. The mellos had some nasty fracks early in the Atlanta show, unacceptable for this time of year.

There is a YouTube vid with parking lot versions of the Crown, BD and SCV horn lines. Even an untrained ear can hear the obvious superiority of Crown's brass in articulation and ensemble playing, and the amazing musicality of BD's line. By comparison, SCV sounds relatively fuzzy and fracky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKCBCcGuhMk

SCV has a wonderful, rich sound, but they are a touch below the top dogs.

I still think BD's hornline is being ranked too closely to Crown's. BD's trumpets are struggling to articulate clearly in that fanfare.

I still think BD's hornline is being ranked too closely to Crown's. BD's trumpets are struggling to articulate clearly in that fanfare.

BD's two opening trumpet fanfares are more difficult and more exposed than the Crown's opening fanfare in Interstellar Suite. BD plays these prolonged fanfares mostly standing still, but right up front, with little accompaniment from percussion and none from lower brass. Crown plays while running around, though also with lots of percussion, and with riffs being traded back and forth between high and low brass. So on these sections, I can see why the judges might find BD's brass almost equal with Crown.

And on the Atlanta FN broadcast, BD's trumpets were sounding 99% sweet.

• Like 1

If vanguard can figure out how to really clean up some of their drill, they can push into the top 3. its gonna be tough to catch bluecoats but I think they can easily pass crown. the Jonz are giving the corps some great momentum going into finals week.

I agree about the dirt. Gosh, though, what a gorgeous visual program... I love the way their drill flows and slinks around, this year. They're the one corps this season that I could watch on silent and still be completely entertained.

• Like 1