SCV 2014

so I just got to see SCV up close as they were in town for days of rehearsal.

fan-#######-tastic.

but what really impressed me was the battery doing something it seems so few do any more:

serious work on BASIC exercises. With this "lot" mentality of playing all of these crazy ### exercises while standing still, far too often when you see a corps on the move, they #### out the easiest tap rolls.

for at least 45 minutes the SCV battery woodshedded simple check pattern and hand motion exercises, working ensemble timing and quality of sound. And they had it. Then when they got to the book....####.My daughter is 2, and she sat there mesmerized by it.it takes a lot to get her to sit still for anything.

while not a fan of trombones and i think most of the usage todate is lame, SCV's usage does add a alayer of darkness that has to be heard live

• Like 5

so I just got to see SCV up close as they were in town for days of rehearsal.

fan-#######-tastic.

but what really impressed me was the battery doing something it seems so few do any more:

serious work on BASIC exercises. With this "lot" mentality of playing all of these crazy ### exercises while standing still, far too often when you see a corps on the move, they #### out the easiest tap rolls.

for at least 45 minutes the SCV battery woodshedded simple check pattern and hand motion exercises, working ensemble timing and quality of sound. And they had it. Then when they got to the book....####.My daughter is 2, and she sat there mesmerized by it.it takes a lot to get her to sit still for anything.

while not a fan of trombones and i think most of the usage todate is lame, SCV's usage does add a alayer of darkness that has to be heard live

That dark sound you describe is exactly why I love the opener to this show. It wouldn't have been the same effect without the trombones.

BD's two opening trumpet fanfares are more difficult and more exposed than the Crown's opening fanfare in Interstellar Suite. BD plays these prolonged fanfares mostly standing still, but right up front, with little accompaniment from percussion and none from lower brass. Crown plays while running around, though also with lots of percussion, and with riffs being traded back and forth between high and low brass. So on these sections, I can see why the judges might find BD's brass almost equal with Crown.

And on the Atlanta FN broadcast, BD's trumpets were sounding 99% sweet.

BD plays lots of their exposed brass parts standing still while Crown moves. Not sure but that may be factored into the scoring.

Really nice run at Allentown! Feet are getting cleaner and they're milking the GE.

• Like 1

I've been quietly watching this show progress throughout the summer, and I'm afraid I must agree with the early season comments: This show just doesn't do it for me. The cohesiveness and majesty is just not there like the 2004 version, and while it has been easy enough to ignore the last several years (I am a huge fan of the 2013 show), this design staff simply does not have the same touch that the staff of 10 years ago had. Certainly, there are some enjoyable moments, but this show tries to take after the 2004 version too much for me to be able to ignore the differences in design.

I do not think that the difference is necessarily one between Poulan and Shaw. One must also take into account the difference between Rennick and Casella's percussion arrangements, which have significant impacts on the rest of the ensemble. While I am very impressed with the performance of the members under Rennick's instruction, I am less than impressed with the book from a musical standpoint (the demand is certainly there). For what it is worth, I do enjoy Weber's visual arrangements.

THAT SAID, the 2014 group is a phenomenal drum corps, filled with inspiring musicians and performers. They are selling the hell out of what they have, and its a shame that they don't have the same level of design that the 2004 corps enjoyed. It will be thrilling to watch them finish out the season this week, but I hope that this kind of show is not the norm going into the future.

I love the 2014 percussion arrangements, and think the writing and the ensemble is sublime. As for pit, the fact that they are using doumbek to give it a real Middle Eastern flavor is quite cool, and their four mallet technique is unbelievable (check the soft ending; amazing and difficult technique). The battery is doing every odd sort of rhythm within the usual fits-the-music-perfectly Rennick book.

Go SCV! Way to put it out. Go Jonz!

Ouch, SCV brass dropped from 4th in prelims to 7th in semi-finals, beat not just by Phantom but by Cavies, too! Guard dropped from 4th in prelims to 5th in semi's. Good thing GE went up, and thank god for Jonz.

I did not watch semi's, was there obvious problems with SCV's performance?