SCV 2014

Now is the perfect time to resurrect this thread. I was pleasantly surprised by SCV's performance in Warrensburg. Until this show, all the drama this season (at least in DCP) has been focused on BD vs Cadets / Crown / BC. But now a new game is afoot.

Have to say, I was not impressed by SCV's early season Stanford show. It came across as a choppy collection of magnificent musical phrases tied together by a lot of front ensemble noodling and dramatic guard moments. The show seemed neither a re-invention or an extension of the 2004 production. My impression was: this is a 5th or even 6th place production, regardless of execution. Even last week at DATR, I was thinking the same (though the broadcast was such a hot mess that it was difficult to draw conclusions).

But the Warrensburg performance convinced me otherwise, and that was before the judges weighed in. The show has genuinely evolved, and is much more coherent now. The musical and visual ideas flow more organically, and the individual musical sections make more dramatic sense. The overall experience is much more satisfying, much more "SCV."

The show still lacks a good ending, though I assume this will be addressed soon enough (may I suggest going through a tunnel and emerging with black tops and white pants?).

The production is not as emotionally engaging as BD or Cadets. I wonder if there will be a more developed dramatic theme or story-line added, such as was present in 2004. Scheherazade is, after all, based on a highly compelling story, with an obvious good girl and very bad guy.

All in all, this year is shaping up a lot like last year's Les Miserables: SCV had an "old school" style that did not draw much attention in comparison to the bleeding-edge stuff from BD and Crown. But the show's warmth and thematic accessibility won over a lot of fans by year's end, and SCV ended up a surprise 4th place, just a tenth behind Cadets. I can easily see them medaling this year.

Thoughts??

Edited by quietcity

Time for me to eat crow. I declared after the first viewing that I would never come to like this show. Didn't give it a chance. Saw it on fan network last night and was absolutely blown away. Wow.

If I had to rank the G7 in terms of entertainment value at the moment for me, it'd be something like this

1. Bluecoats

2. Crown

3. SCV

4. BD

5. Phantom Regiment

6. Cadets

7. Cavaliers

Time for me to eat crow. I declared after the first viewing that I would never come to like this show. Didn't give it a chance. Saw it on fan network last night and was absolutely blown away. Wow.

If I had to rank the G7 in terms of entertainment value at the moment for me, it'd be something like this

1. Bluecoats

2. Crown

3. SCV

4. BD

5. Phantom Regiment

6. Cadets

7. Cavaliers

I am pleased to hear of your conversion, heathen.

But I gotta ask, PR over Cavies in terms of entertainment? You astonish me! I mean, Cavies are actually playing more classical music that PR this year, and..and..marimba apocalypse! and undead!! and hearts and souls ripped out of bodies! I mean, come on, THAT is entertainment!!

I am pleased to hear of your conversion, heathen.

But I gotta ask, PR over Cavies in terms of entertainment? You astonish me! I mean, Cavies are actually playing more classical music that PR this year, and..and..marimba apocalypse! and undead!! and hearts and souls ripped out of bodies! I mean, come on, THAT is entertainment!!

Cavies' brassline this year completely turns me off. It's a quiet and airy mess in my opinion. I'm sure the show would entertain me a lot more if I could actually hear it :smile:

Plus I actually like the musical selections by PR this year. They just need to be executed better!

• Like 1

Cavies' brassline this year completely turns me off. It's a quiet and airy mess in my opinion. I'm sure the show would entertain me a lot more if I could actually hear it :smile:

Plus I actually like the musical selections by PR this year. They just need to be executed better!

Well, PR's shows often feature executions. But not this year, so that must be the problem...

Well, PR's shows often feature executions. But not this year, so that must be the problem...

Exactly what I was referring to!!! Only you understand me.

• Like 1

Went to vanguard rehearsal tonight. Let's just say we have some changes at the end! Show is really coming together and feeling much more like a finished product. Will be a very interesting medal chase down the stretch!

• Like 2

The production is not as emotionally engaging as BD or Cadets. I wonder if there will be a more developed dramatic theme or story-line added, such as was present in 2004. Scheherazade is, after all, based on a highly compelling story, with an obvious good girl and very bad guy.

All in all, this year is shaping up a lot like last year's Les Miserables: SCV had an "old school" style that did not draw much attention in comparison to the bleeding-edge stuff from BD and Crown. But the show's warmth and thematic accessibility won over a lot of fans by year's end, and SCV ended up a surprise 4th place, just a tenth behind Cadets. I can easily see them medaling this year.

Thoughts??

1st, I agree with you that the early season was disjointed.

I agree on many of your points.

Yes, best of old school with TASTEFUL use of new school. I thought I hated synths, but done correctly / WOW

I'm impressed with all sections and how tasteful they are presented. brass / pit /battery / drill / GE / use of colors in the show / guard / field coverage....all of it is IMHO very tasteful ( even the bones )

I had to watch it 4 times before I caught the mirror image SCV. Once things are added and cleaned, this will be a fan's favorite

This is the 1st show that has gotten me excited this year.

• Like 3

Went to vanguard rehearsal tonight. Let's just say we have some changes at the end! Show is really coming together and feeling much more like a finished product. Will be a very interesting medal chase down the stretch!

...and i just found out i will be traveling for work the night of the Massillon show... :unhappy: