SCV 2014

IMO SCV has the cleanest sounding battery and pit.

I was very impressed at the Sacramento show. After seeing them Monday night on FN I was even more impressed.

Now is the perfect time to resurrect this thread. I was pleasantly surprised by SCV's performance in Warrensburg. Until this show, all the drama this season (at least in DCP) has been focused on BD vs Cadets / Crown / BC. But now a new game is afoot.

Have to say, I was not impressed by SCV's early season Stanford show. It came across as a choppy collection of magnificent musical phrases tied together by a lot of front ensemble noodling and dramatic guard moments. The show seemed neither a re-invention or an extension of the 2004 production. My impression was: this is a 5th or even 6th place production, regardless of execution. Even last week at DATR, I was thinking the same (though the broadcast was such a hot mess that it was difficult to draw conclusions).

But the Warrensburg performance convinced me otherwise, and that was before the judges weighed in. The show has genuinely evolved, and is much more coherent now. The musical and visual ideas flow more organically, and the individual musical sections make more dramatic sense. The overall experience is much more satisfying, much more "SCV."

The show still lacks a good ending, though I assume this will be addressed soon enough (may I suggest going through a tunnel and emerging with black tops and white pants?).

The production is not as emotionally engaging as BD or Cadets. I wonder if there will be a more developed dramatic theme or story-line added, such as was present in 2004. Scheherazade is, after all, based on a highly compelling story, with an obvious good girl and very bad guy.

All in all, this year is shaping up a lot like last year's Les Miserables: SCV had an "old school" style that did not draw much attention in comparison to the bleeding-edge stuff from BD and Crown. But the show's warmth and thematic accessibility won over a lot of fans by year's end, and SCV ended up a surprise 4th place, just a tenth behind Cadets. I can easily see them medaling this year.

Thoughts??

The GE scores seem to be there so if they can dominant in percussion and clean up the Visual Proficiency, then I say they would have a chance to medal. Next question is who ahead of them do they overtake? BD and Cadets are solid in GE and captions and Crown is a powerhouse so....

The GE scores seem to be there so if they can dominant in percussion and clean up the Visual Proficiency, then I say they would have a chance to medal. Next question is who ahead of them do they overtake? BD and Cadets are solid in GE and captions and Crown is a powerhouse so....

Crown is most vulnerable, given the Warrensburg scores, along with what I predict will be a plateau in Crown's GE relative to SCV. I see Cadets as out of reach, given their various caption proficiencies. And BD is likely unassailable by anybody other than their own loving mothers.

Crown is most vulnerable, given the Warrensburg scores, along with what I predict will be a plateau in Crown's GE relative to SCV. I see Cadets as out of reach, given their various caption proficiencies. And BD is likely unassailable by anybody other than their own loving mothers.

fwiw i think they're being ticked in GE for things that are eminently fixable. i think its just a matter of scheduling the time to make the adjustments which (imho) are needed.

watched scv a number of times . yeah the perc is impressive but the show is still meh. then again i though last year was meh and the judges peed themselves over it . so what the heck do i know.

Edited by corpsband

watched scv a number of times . yeah the perc is impressive but the show is still meh. then again i though last year was meh and the judges peed themselves over it . so what the heck do i know.

Agreed, having seen it live just a few days ago... Great hornline, great drums and percussion. Just doesn't hold my attention like 2004 did or even 2012.

Very nice new ending SCV! Glad to see you've brought the trombones back in the end to make them more useful.

Does anyone know if this is the first time SCV has put in the new quiet ending or has it been going on the last couple of shows?

• Like 1

Very nice new ending SCV! Glad to see you've brought the trombones back in the end to make them more useful.

Does anyone know if this is the first time SCV has put in the new quiet ending or has it been going on the last couple of shows?

The 3rd time, they had it on the field for Denton and Houston as well

Nice win in drums too!

• Like 1