SCV 2014

Wow..... I guess I'm glad I have never seen the 2004 show. I have nothing to compare the current show to.....and I absolutely love it so far. I think the music is gorgeous with a capital G. The ballad is simply haunting and I'm humming it constantly. I saw SCV live at Stanford, and from my vantage point, the show looked incredible. When I watched later on the FN, I was blown away by the drill design (from a high cam perspective).

It is nice to experience a show without preconceived ideas or expectations. I wonder how the judges deal with knowing/loving a previous version of a show? I trust they can evaluate based solely on the current performance.

I'm looking forward to seeing more and more as this beautiful show develops. SCV is (for me) synonymous with elegance, class and beauty. Add to that the performance power of this year's corps.....and I know they'll deliver all summer long. IMHO.

• Like 3

Haven't heard this year's SCV show, but while their Les Mis show was my favorite of 2013 and one of my favorite Vanguard shows ever, I remember feeling like there were some iffy spots in the brass arrangement. And the Planets show in 2012... seeing it live, it drove me nuts with all the power chords (ie tonic and fifth only), and musical flow-wise I thought the Planets show was pretty poorly done as well. So, I'm sad to hear of continuing issues in this department.

Haven't heard this year's SCV show, but while their Les Mis show was my favorite of 2013 and one of my favorite Vanguard shows ever, I remember feeling like there were some iffy spots in the brass arrangement.

I thought he did a great job in 2013, though much like Madison this year, they tried to use a lot of source material. That's not necessarily Shaw's fault.

And the Planets show in 2012... seeing it live, it drove me nuts with all the power chords (ie tonic and fifth only), and musical flow-wise I thought the Planets show was pretty poorly done as well.

My sentiments exactly.

On paper, I'd swap Poulan for Shaw any day of the week. But I haven't seen enough yet to say that the change in arrangers was a no-brainer.

Where to begin...

This was the show I was most looking forward to seeing. I have to admit I'm pretty disappointed (as of now anyway). JD Shaw is one of my favorite arrangers along with klesch and bocook. I was so looking forward to hearing this show, but it's just kind of alright. Shaw is hands down a better arranger than key poulan IMO, but I have to give the 'scheherazade' nod to poulin. That being said, the music is still quite enjoyable. It's just not the amazing program I hoped to hear.

The biggest issue with this show IMO is the visual design by far. The drill often doesn't match the music. Their intervals are also too close most of the time to where the corps looks like they are the size of an open class corps. Bummer.

Hope to see a lot of enhancement by finals

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 1

Where to begin...

This was the show I was most looking forward to seeing. I have to admit I'm pretty disappointed (as of now anyway). JD Shaw is one of my favorite arrangers along with klesch and bocook. I was so looking forward to hearing this show, but it's just kind of alright. Shaw is hands down a better arranger than key poulan IMO, but I have to give the 'scheherazade' nod to poulin. That being said, the music is still quite enjoyable. It's just not the amazing program I hoped to hear.

The biggest issue with this show IMO is the visual design by far. The drill often doesn't match the music. Their intervals are also too close most of the time to where the corps looks like they are the size of an open class corps. Bummer.

Hope to see a lot of enhancement by finals

I think I get some of what you're saying. Regarding the drill, I think it's great to have variety in the show. There should be moments where they're spread out, and then there are moments where the intervals are close together.

I've only seen the incomplete Stanford showing, so I'll wait until I see them this weekend before I decide how I like the show. It's certainly different than 2004. Glad to hear another opinion though!

I'm not one to constantly complain about "chop and bop" but good Lord, this brass book seems like one phrase from Scheherezade, a build to a power chord, rinse and repeat.

Those props...the pillows are ok if pointless, but the backdrops...if you can't make them look better than a middle school play, it's not a good idea to have them. Last year's backdrops were FAR better. The uniforms are over the top, the guard is in second rate belly dance costumes...

I feel like overall this is return to the "bad old days" of the late 80s/early 90s for SCV, with over the top and cheesy theatrics and cheap-looking props. I know they won in 1989 and those shows are much beloved, but the approach seems hopelessly dated 25 years later.

Like all corps that use the new brass instruments, I question what the point is, to have 24 trombones play like 9 notes.

Overall, this is maybe the most disappointing show if the year IMHO.

I'm not one to constantly complain about "chop and bop" but good Lord, this brass book seems like one phrase from Scheherezade, a build to a power chord, rinse and repeat.

Those props...the pillows are ok if pointless, but the backdrops...if you can't make them look better than a middle school play, it's not a good idea to have them. Last year's backdrops were FAR better. The uniforms are over the top, the guard is in second rate belly dance costumes...

I feel like overall this is return to the "bad old days" of the late 80s/early 90s for SCV, with over the top and cheesy theatrics and cheap-looking props. I know they won in 1989 and those shows are much beloved, but the approach seems hopelessly dated 25 years later.

Like all corps that use the new brass instruments, I question what the point is, to have 24 trombones play like 9 notes.

Overall, this is maybe the most disappointing show if the year IMHO.

Nailed it. I am really hoping that this show is overhauled as part of some "master plan." If not, I could see SCV at the bottom of the top 10 this year.

Nailed it. I am really hoping that this show is overhauled as part of some "master plan." If not, I could see SCV at the bottom of the top 10 this year.

After seeing the show live last night I would definitly put SCV in the 5-8 group. And they'd better watch their back because Phantom Cavies and Boston could pass them up.

It's interesting how a design team can give us argueably the fan favorite one year to a product that has no emotional connection to the audience.

There's no doubt that this corps has talent. And the member talent will keep them probably in the top 6/7. The show design is a let down. The backdrops are a distraction, there are way too many and from far away they look like male parts. I like the pillows at the very beginning with the trombones. After that they became ridiculous watching brass members carry them all over the field. My group said they ended up watching some of the corps members struggling with the pillows instead Of enjoying the show.

I don't think the drill design is a problem And there's so really nice moments. But I do think the members will have a tough time getting that drill clean.

Like I said this is a 5-8 show. I really don't see Madison or BK passing them.

Edited by GREENBLUE

I think the arrangement is too fast for this music. It's played very well though. They have a fantastic sound. You gotta see them live. Their horn ensemble encore was incredible.

I love this show but 04 was truer to the original composition.

That, IMO, will not be happening. They will switch places with Bluecoats at the worst possible scenario.

• Like 1