SCV 2014

Gosh Golly - you are right.

This was the most civil thing to happen on DCP all season. Pleasure working with you Lincoln! :smile:

• Like 4

Is this the new soloistic version that was supposed to be part of the other show they couldn't get the rights too?

Other show??

Other show??

Rumor has it (from strong sources) that they wanted to do another show and not Scheherazade. In the latest backstage they even mention 2 other shows.

Pretty cool drill move at the 2:50-3:00 mark with the moving waves. Perhaps a mini tribute to the waving company front in the 2004 show?!

It's a reference to the music that's being played at that moment: "The Sea and Sinbad's Ship."

So far, I've found their show a bit of a disappointment, not because it's bad, but because last year's was so good. Trying to avoid a let down the year following such a great show can be a bit of an occupational hazard. But I have no doubt it is still evolving and will get progressively better as the season wears on. As for the trombones, I can see two possible reasons for Santa Clara using them. Politically, to rub the rule in the face of DCI... "You voted for it, this is what you've welcomed to the field," <or> and I think the more likely reason; volume. There is far less distance for the air to travel through a trombone than a baritone before it reaches the audience. Therefore, it can produce a louder sound. I think they chose the trombones simply to make a louder opening statement with the lower range brass.

So far, I've found their show a bit of a disappointment, not because it's bad, but because last year's was so good. Trying to avoid a let down the year following such a great show can be a bit of an occupational hazard. But I have no doubt it is still evolving and will get progressively better as the season wears on. As for the trombones, I can see two possible reasons for Santa Clara using them. Politically, to rub the rule in the face of DCI... "You voted for it, this is what you've welcomed to the field," <or> and I think the more likely reason; volume. There is far less distance for the air to travel through a trombone than a baritone before it reaches the audience. Therefore, it can produce a louder sound. I think they chose the trombones simply to make a louder opening statement with the lower range brass.

Those bones are LOUD! In your face, knock you down loud. The crowd in Mesa was cheering 2 seconds into the hit. One of the loudest moments of the show or the night.

First of all SCV is not an organization that will use trombones to rub it in to DCI for voting for it. What a dumb statement. The first hit from the opener was using trombones. Very effective. Will then use then at other parts of the show..maybe the ending. Who know. So What.

I'm not one to constantly complain about "chop and bop" but good Lord, this brass book seems like one phrase from Scheherezade, a build to a power chord, rinse and repeat.

Those props...the pillows are ok if pointless, but the backdrops...if you can't make them look better than a middle school play, it's not a good idea to have them. Last year's backdrops were FAR better. The uniforms are over the top, the guard is in second rate belly dance costumes...

I feel like overall this is return to the "bad old days" of the late 80s/early 90s for SCV, with over the top and cheesy theatrics and cheap-looking props. I know they won in 1989 and those shows are much beloved, but the approach seems hopelessly dated 25 years later.

Like all corps that use the new brass instruments, I question what the point is, to have 24 trombones play like 9 notes.

Overall, this is maybe the most disappointing show if the year IMHO.

Wow, completely disagree. At least so far. There doesn't seem to be a story that I see. This is nothing like that era shows. I witnessed those show live, and this is quite different.

Agree about the trombones. Use them more.

I think the arrangement is too fast for this music. It's played very well though. They have a fantastic sound. You gotta see them live. Their horn ensemble encore was incredible.

I love this show but 04 was truer to the original composition.

I don't think that's been a problem with the judges considering some of the shows I've heard before. :augen51: