I'm fine with pit soloists in DCA... always have been.

1) It gives folks like Ritchee Price and Roger Grupp... guys who physically cannot do a full-show drill anymore... a chance to do what they do best, which is.play at a ridiculously high level of proficiency. If there's no place anymore in DCA for people like that, perhaps it's time to think about where we are heading.

2) If DCA is supposed to be more about audience appeal/entertainment/showmanship than the DCI side... well... if I were a corps director, I would welcome people like Ritchee, Roger, Joey Pero, et al.... performers with a pretty good track record of giving audiences what they want/like to hear... into my corps with open arms, even if it means they stand in the pit and play.

• Like 3

1993....white blouse, black bolero, black pants no colored stripe or bell bottoms red cumberbun

So... not all black.

Unless "white blouse and red cummerbund" are the new black. :tongue:

• Like 2

Just like the majority of things in Drum Corps, I welcome most things when they are done well. Mr. Ponzo is a class act, and his HOF worthy value to the Cabs happens both on and off the field. The way he is integrated into this years show is even more effective than last, as the design team had the pre season knowledge of the plan. I personally did not care that much for some of the over the top "showmanship" visual gesturing by some front ensemble brass players in other corps of the past, regardless of their awesome musical abilities. I find Cabs design this year, and Mr. Ponzo's performance to be much more effective, and in fact, an integral part of the overall effect of the show design. He must be moving around some, because he manages to escape entrapment longer than anyone else!

• Like 2

I agree with Fran:

1) It gives folks like Ritchee Price and Roger Grupp... guys who physically cannot do a full-show drill anymore... a chance to do what they do best, which is.play at a ridiculously high level of proficiency. If there's no place anymore in DCA for people like that, perhaps it's time to think about where we are heading.

I have a suggestion that MIGHT make all happy. If, like Richie Price and others, CANNOT march, there would be NO penalty given. HOWEVER, if they are physically able to march and elect to stay in the pits - there should be a penalty given. Do not award points for a "Park and Bark" player because they are too lazy to put the effort in to be on the field.

• Like 1

I have a suggestion that MIGHT make all happy. If, like Richie Price and others, CANNOT march, there would be NO penalty given. HOWEVER, if they are physically able to march and elect to stay in the pits - there should be a penalty given. Do not award points for a "Park and Bark" player because they are too lazy to put the effort in to be on the field.

Anytime you give a penalty as a matter of course, you don't make anyone happy. Trust me, lunchbox players don't contribute as much to the score as some think they do...particularly part-timers. It's fine that you and others don't like it. I don't particular care for it either (except in a case like Frank's where he's tightly integrated into the visual package, as I talked about above). But to penalize for it? No.

I mean, suppose a corps has a baritone player confined to a wheelchair? You gonna rag on that too? (I mean that as a general you, not as a specific "aimed at fraber" you).

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

all this praise for Frank....and not one lawn chair comment! man you've come a long way!

:ninja:

• Like 3

all this praise for Frank....and not one lawn chair comment! man you've come a long way!

:ninja:

So...have any of you met my ex-good friend Jeff Ream??? :tounge2:

• Like 3

So...have any of you met my ex-good friend Jeff Ream??? :tounge2:

*sheepishly raises hand*

ME :tongue:

• Like 1

could be the black blouses on the pit that I remember, but for some reason I seem to remember a black short cut jacket,......or maybe a vest?

If it were a black short cut jacket or black vest, then it was 1993 when the Cabs did their "West Side Story, The Latin Side" production.