Need help from knowledgeable people

Is Phantom Regiment the only corps that has their drum major do more musical things such as cues, crescendos/decrescendos, and other added things. I plan on auditioning for drum major in DCI but i really enjoy the way PR's Drum Majors conduct and I was interested in knowing if any other corps does it.

Thanks!!

So you're looking for more "conductor" DM's than pure timekeeping ones? Sure, there are several in DCI, but it can change pretty quickly, depending on the DM. I hate to pass you on, but your best bet is probably Youtube - watch some shows from last summer and this and you'll get a feel pretty quickly for conducting styles.

Mike

So you're looking for more "conductor" DM's than pure timekeeping ones? Sure, there are several in DCI, but it can change pretty quickly, depending on the DM. I hate to pass you on, but your best bet is probably Youtube - watch some shows from last summer and this and you'll get a feel pretty quickly for conducting styles.

Mike

Thanks, Mike.

Ive been doing that and my other option is Blue Devils but all of the videos of drum majors i have seen consists of them only keeping tempo :\ but i will keep looking :)

thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

One of the least attributes a DM brings to his or her Corps is their conducting style. As a former lead DM, my suggestion is for you to first find yourself a Corps that if they asked you to, you would be willing to lie down in the middle of a busy highway for them if they asked you too. ( well not literally, but you get the point ) Its not about you, nor your directing style. Corps want leadership abilities, and your willingness to put your Corps above any and all self interests you might possess,. This what I would most look for anyway if I was a Corps staffer today and looking for a new Lead DM, or assistant DM. Good luck to you in finding a Corps that your personal characteristics a Corps will find fits the profile of what they want in their future DM's. Also, research a Corps to be sure its a Corps whose culture and teaching styles match your own. You have already demonstrated to me a self confidence coupled with a naturally inquisitive mind, and thats a pretty good initial tip off to me anyway that at least at some level you have at least two personality characteristics that makes for a potentially good practice and competition leader for most Drum Corps..

Edited by BRASSO

I applaud you for wanting to be drum major but I think you also need to consider this, a majority of drum corps fill the drum major spot among the members.

• 3 weeks later...