INDY June 18, 2014

Impressions of last night after watching the show and a few rewinds..

CROWN- Brass is really out of this world. I like the overall show but not loving it. My general impression is musically the show

is on another level compared to the visual program. Props tend to "constrict" the visual a lot IMO. The outer space

portion of the show is amazing..those sound effects are worthy of a medal alone. I would like to see some amazingly

abstract dance and body movement in this section. The ending is pretty anti-climatic and I'm not getting the " we're home

again feeling" that was so wonderfully created in 2009 when they last did the "no place like home" concept. Overall a solid

show but a bit too cold and distant for me as Crown always gives me goosebumps but I understand its not that type of

program this year. They always win me over so I'm sure my like of the show will turn to love as I see them again.

CADETS-My overall take on the show is one of great balance, a variety of emotions, traditional with a modern twist and extremely

well performed. I thought it flowed very well and the visual program is a strong as the musical program and the Cadets

do Copland very well. Watching the corps perform, my thought was this is a champion caliber corps just by their carriage

and movement. From the opening statement to the closer, there were many moments that I was saying wow, yes and love.

My criticisms are the costume of the narrator (just let him wear his Cadets uniform), the visual of the burlesque section

would be an opportunity to use that stage and feature that fabulous trumpet line. The visual of the percussion feature

underwhelming. I understand the percussion is the feature and the corps proper shouldn't detract from that but....

The last segment of the show will be an emotional event for the crowd as it is refined and cleaned.

Great job Cadets!

PHANTOM- Love that guard and this show should be a great vehicle for them. I'm not sold on the corps uniforms, I feel they

take away from the magical look and presence of the corps when they wear more white but I do like the black in the

second half of the show. Percussion seemed fuzzy and brass not as deep as in the past but first show jitters, rain

delays may have been a factor. This show will probably move me when the emotional component is there as the

season progresses.

CAVIES- I like the show more than the past few years and they have an opportunity to layer the darkness of it musically

and visually. The marimbas feature was great and showed off the talent very well. Brass seemed to really struggle

but they should be able to fix. I recall seeing them in early 2010 and the corps was frighteningly bad and we know how

that ended.

TROOPERS- Very impressed with their brass and guard. The corps was much stronger than I thought for the first show.

I look forward to seeing how this progresses.

• Like 4

Good review. Very objective and detailed.

I like your suggestions for the Cadets. I think the narrator should wear a George Washington-like outfit, with white wig and all. That would be kind of cool and nostalgic. I also think they need to remove the the text "put people back to work." FDR quote I think? The way it gets stated it almost feels like George is after applause, but people will see that as a political statement in which the Cadets are preaching to them. It's a nice statement that we all want to hear, but not at a drum corps show. We like it when our politicians say it (even though we know it's a more difficult problem to solve than just lip service), but hearing that kind of comment at a DCI show just struck me wrong.

I believe they need to stay with over-arching, "We the People" and other unity and liberty-like statements.

Just my point of view. Love their show otherwise.

• Like 1

Good review. Very objective and detailed.

I like your suggestions for the Cadets. I think the narrator should wear a George Washington-like outfit, with white wig and all. That would be kind of cool and nostalgic. I also think they need to remove the the text "put people back to work." FDR quote I think? The way it gets stated it almost feels like George is after applause, but people will see that as a political statement in which the Cadets are preaching to them. It's a nice statement that we all want to hear, but not at a drum corps show. We like it when our politicians say it (even though we know it's a more difficult problem to solve than just lip service), but hearing that kind of comment at a DCI show just struck me wrong.

I believe they need to stay with over-arching, "We the People" and other unity and liberty-like statements.

Just my point of view. Love their show otherwise.

My feeling is the music is well written and exuberance/fear/hope/promise is well displayed both musically and visually throughout

the show. Personally, I think they can and should pull back on the narration. Some of it is effective but we have a fine line between assisting the program and detracting from it. Overall a very well constructed show but that is one of my areas where tweaking needs to be done.

As far as the narrator wearing a wig etc, that was my biggest fear all winter and that I call unpasteurized cheese. Let him be a modern day Cadet interacting with great leaders of the past.

Edited by theCHEZman
  • Like 1

Yes, The Cadets may want to rethink the costume on the narrator. Right now its the wrong vibe. He's currently looks to me like a Televangelist with spiffy clothes and toting his King James Biible up there on his high mount there.

Otherwise its a traditional Americana, feel good, Patriotic show done very well that we get from The Cadets with regularity once every decade or so from them now.

Edited by BRASSO