Can the Troopers make Top 12 this year?

By the way, can I ask you how to compiled your data? I'm still figuring out an efficient to collect and input data into my spreadsheets.

About a half-hour last night with CorpsReps (and FromthePressBox as a double-check). First going through the years to confirm who placed twelfth each year from 1989 to 2013 (some I remember, some I don't), then going to the list of each corps' scores for the years in question. So, Crossmen 1989, Crossmen 2012, Dutch Boy 1990, Sky Ryders 1991, Freelancers 1992, Colts 1993, Colts 1994, Colts 1998, Colts 1999, Colts 2001, etc. seemed the quickest way to compile everything. Dropped into an Excel spreadsheet with columns for year, corps name, date of first score, first score, date of last score, last score, and then three columns for simple calculations: subtraction to get difference in number of days and difference in score, division to get the daily average increase. Sum that column, subtract the highest and lowest from the sum, divide by 23. For the presentation above, just the concatenate function. I imagine it could be done more attractively and more efficiently, but I'm no Excel expert.

I'm a honk, obviously. But the honest answer is pretty much what a few others have said: who the heck really knows? I trust the design and education staff, and the kids, to bring whatever it takes to make the 2014 Troopers the best corps they can be. They are proud to wear their uniform, they are proud to be part of the traditions (new and old) of the organization - just like every other great corps out there.

(but it will be fun to sit in the Oil Can on Saturday and see my corps there. :satisfied: )

• Like 1

As I wrote in my original post, the closer Troopers get to a 63 at the Rockford show, the more likely they'll be in Top 12 contention. They scored 61.1. Since 2003, only two 12th place corps scored below a 62 at the first show. Troopers, as with any corps, have the potential to make a great run and increase their scores enough to take 12th place (or higher) at semifinals, but history is against them.

I'm torn, personally. I want the group to be rewarded for the things they are getting out of those kids. BUT, I don't necessarily think it is good to reward that type of programming. Really wish they could maintain their identity WHILE simultaneously pushing the activity. It kind of seems like the whole point the last two years is to pander to old drum corps fuddy duddy nostalgia.

I'm torn, personally. I want the group to be rewarded for the things they are getting out of those kids. BUT, I don't necessarily think it is good to reward that type of programming. Really wish they could maintain their identity WHILE simultaneously pushing the activity. It kind of seems like the whole point the last two years is to pander to old drum corps fuddy duddy nostalgia.

That was my problem with last year's show. Yes, we're the Troopers. I know. I was one too.

• Like 1

As I wrote in my original post, the closer Troopers get to a 63 at the Rockford show, the more likely they'll be in Top 12 contention. They scored 61.1. Since 2003, only two 12th place corps scored below a 62 at the first show. Troopers, as with any corps, have the potential to make a great run and increase their scores enough to take 12th place (or higher) at semifinals, but history is against them.

By that definition, there will only be 11 Top 12 corps since Spirit placed below Troop. Oh, and Troop beat Spirit (11th place in 2013) last night.

It's early, scores that aren't head-to-head are meaningless at this point, and the corps is clearly stronger than last year unless you aren't using your eyes and ears. The only difference is that the show isn't as "auto GE" as last summer, but in the long run I'd rather that the corps boost all their caption scores by Finals week rather than hope for a max-out GE to make it in.

Troopers look like early favorite not underdog to make finals.... Drum line starting to sound like a Rennick line!!! Very good corps+ Great Show= Success

By that definition, there will only be 11 Top 12 corps since Spirit placed below Troop. Oh, and Troop beat Spirit (11th place in 2013) last night.

It's early, scores that aren't head-to-head are meaningless at this point, and the corps is clearly stronger than last year unless you aren't using your eyes and ears. The only difference is that the show isn't as "auto GE" as last summer, but in the long run I'd rather that the corps boost all their caption scores by Finals week rather than hope for a max-out GE to make it in.

Troopers is projected to be at 13th, with Crossmen at 12, Blue Stars at 11. Boston Crusaders and Bluecoats have yet to compete and they should be top 12, unless they drop significantly this year.