2014 Rankings (by most recent score)

I'll lean with John on this one. I remember having invites to do neat stuff on the weekends left and right and turning them down left and right for 6 years. Most kids wouldn't do that. I remember coming to family vacations on the beach late and leaving early to get to practice. Not every family would put up with that now.

I think the way things are now, for retention purposes you need that time for everyone to get away and have family time.

Heck, even Formula 1 racing has an enforced mid-season holiday where no one's allowed to work.

Another advantage to a one week stoppage:

The staff can get together at their leisure and work out any changes and plans meticulously for the rest of the season. Yeah, they can do that during the week... but.... face-to-face time and being together still has its advantages. Also, not have to worry about rehearsals and that pressure while they can breathe in and out and think.

• Like 1

again we agree to disagree. see a pattern here john?

he makes sense though Don, and most members and staff will tell you that weekend off to get away really helps recharge the batteries for the final stretch. I know most years I marched we took off for DCI, and man.....the following week we came back fired up and ready to go

he makes sense though Don, and most members and staff will tell you that weekend off to get away really helps recharge the batteries for the final stretch. I know most years I marched we took off for DCI, and man.....the following week we came back fired up and ready to go

ok. i get 1 week off. but doesn't reading have 2 weeks off. and didn't they have a week or 2 earlier?

ok. i get 1 week off. but doesn't reading have 2 weeks off. and didn't they have a week or 2 earlier?

Competitively, yes, they have taken weeks off from doing shows. I'm not particularly a fan of that either, but they do what they do. They've only, to my knowledge, taken one weekend off from rehearsing this year, and that was last weekend. Bucs typically take Allentown weekend off so they can decompress, attend the regional, or simply do nothing.

Modern drum corps is *far* more taxing physically and mentally now that it was "back in the day". That weekend off, when I was marching, was imperative. It's why Cabs does it too (a week earlier this year), and I'm sure other corps do it as well.

I'm right there with you and anyone arguing that Bucs doesn't compete in enough shows, but for a different reason. No, it doesn't hurt them competitively, but I think it's a bit of a disservice to the drum corps community to not get out therre and perform in as many shows as you reasonably can, especially with as few shows and willing show sponsors as we have now. Are there money issues? Maybe, but you figure those out.

Since I've been a part of this activity, (which is getting to be a long time now) MBI has always taken one weekend off per month during the summer. Heck, with how the 4th lined up this year, we got two weekends off in July. As other have mentioned, it's an essential time to decompress, spend time with your family and loved ones and just give your body a break. We are off this coming weekend due to DCI finals. As the average age of corps drop, you will likely see more corps have more weekends off and still put on extremely well performed, technical shows. Blame the millennials and their inability to commit to things, but it's becoming a reality.

• Like 1

Competitively, yes, they have taken weeks off from doing shows. I'm not particularly a fan of that either, but they do what they do. They've only, to my knowledge, taken one weekend off from rehearsing this year, and that was last weekend. Bucs typically take Allentown weekend off so they can decompress, attend the regional, or simply do nothing.

Modern drum corps is *far* more taxing physically and mentally now that it was "back in the day". That weekend off, when I was marching, was imperative. It's why Cabs does it too (a week earlier this year), and I'm sure other corps do it as well.

I'm right there with you and anyone arguing that Bucs doesn't compete in enough shows, but for a different reason. No, it doesn't hurt them competitively, but I think it's a bit of a disservice to the drum corps community to not get out therre and perform in as many shows as you reasonably can, especially with as few shows and willing show sponsors as we have now. Are there money issues? Maybe, but you figure those out.

reading has been doing a lot less shows from before i can remember. in 1967, my first year they did fewer shows than anybody. and i know , at least back in the day they didn't like to travel. they rarely went to massachusetts. we had to beg them to come to rochester and syracuse. i dunno that always bugged me about them.

Week-ends off could also be caused by no invites to a show that week ,Some times its not always the corps looking for the time off.Plus money maybe the sponsers can't afford to bring in said corps .My comments are general comment made on the subject and not a answer to anyone directly posting on here ,Last I knew theses are all open forums .

Edited by Florida Sun
  • Like 1

Scores from the Bushwackers show

1-Cabs -90.65

2-C-2 --87.00

3-Bush--81.25

4-Sun---80.30

5-Sky--74.10

Class A

1-Exc.--68.45

Edited by Florida Sun