2014 Rankings (by most recent score)

The only wish I might have would be to get a Central PA show back on the DCA docket, but Ream, Fawber and I don't have the buxx to maybe lose our collective tuckuses on it. Nor would I ever want to steer a Band Parent organization into any undue risk unless they went in eyes wide open. :satisfied:

So ... what's considered Central PA? ... Carlisle? ... Harrisburg? ... Hershey? ... Altoona? ... like I've said in the past ... if a sponsor can "package" a show together with a local festival, celebration, charity, etc. they may have a better chance at success than a sole group going it alone ... good luck if you decide to pursue it ... maybe Reading will partner with you ...

:-)

So ... what's considered Central PA? ... Carlisle? ... Harrisburg? ... Hershey? ... Altoona? ... like I've said in the past ... if a sponsor can "package" a show together with a local festival, celebration, charity, etc. they may have a better chance at success than a sole group going it alone ... good luck if you decide to pursue it ... maybe Reading will partner with you ...

All the above except Altoona are considered "South-Central PA", but yes, that's the area I was thinking. Don't know about Altoona, though now you mentioned it. Mansion Park is a pretty decent stadium. The issue is that there's no real connections out there to DCA except for the Old Gardner Guards who have been gone for about 30 years, and the Mainliners, who went to a couple of DCA contests around 1993 and ran out of funding. The "Greater Harrisburg Area" at least has some serious competitive bands which can help sell the product.

Hershey Stadium might be a sticky wicket. They can make a lot more money off some take-your-pick bimbo breathy autotuned crooner that wants the stadium at the last second and they'd rather have that. There are still some good HS stadiums in the area, including a REALLY decent for Corps contest stadium at Red Lion in the York area.

Hershey Stadium might be a sticky wicket. They can make a lot more money off some take-your-pick bimbo breathy autotuned crooner that wants the stadium at the last second and they'd rather have that. There are still some good HS stadiums in the area, including a REALLY decent for Corps contest stadium at Red Lion in the York area.

That is a good venue. I remember going to a DCA show there in 1997.

All the above except Altoona are considered "South-Central PA", but yes, that's the area I was thinking. Don't know about Altoona, though now you mentioned it. Mansion Park is a pretty decent stadium. The issue is that there's no real connections out there to DCA except for the Old Gardner Guards who have been gone for about 30 years, and the Mainliners, who went to a couple of DCA contests around 1993 and ran out of funding. The "Greater Harrisburg Area" at least has some serious competitive bands which can help sell the product.

So ... with that in mind, are there any big community events in any of those areas where a dc show could become one of the attractions? ...

I always thought of Lewisburg as more central Pa. then any one the others on the list here ,and its been used many many times by DCA and with large crowds .

I always thought of Lewisburg as more central Pa. then any one the others on the list here ,and its been used many many times by DCA and with large crowds .

Good one ... Sky used to do an exhibition at the penitentiary (JoJo actually knew a few guys in lockup) and then get invited to the bbq at the State Fair ... historic "tug 'o war" took place between Sky and the Firemen ... Pepe was at the helm ... I can still hear him yelling to drag them through the mud, broken glass and parking lot once we had them defeated ... I don't think we were invited back the next year ... okay ... ya might wanna skip that one ...

Or Bloomsburg ,great college town ,Boomsburg Fair .one of the largest in the state .Also right off route 80 maybe a little closer to route 81 then Lewisburg .I know I had a business and lived in Wilkes -Barre and Hazeton for a short while .LOL wasn't short enough

Edited by Florida Sun

Good one ... Sky used to do an exhibition at the penitentiary (JoJo actually knew a few guys in lockup) and then get invited to the bbq at the State Fair ... historic "tug 'o war" took place between Sky and the Firemen ... Pepe was at the helm ... I can still hear him yelling to drag them through the mud, broken glass and parking lot once we had them defeated ... I don't think we were invited back the next year ... okay ... ya might wanna skip that one ...

andy you got more stories. i just wish you would finish them.........LOL

Well, one thing anyone who dealt with Pepe from one side or the other had to give him. He was a COMPETITOR, Drum Corps, Tug-O-War, skittles, you name it. You had to respect that about the guy and be ready to compete your hinder off on your end.