2014 Rankings (by most recent score)

jeff you misunderstand. the bucs never did many shows back in the 60's. they never traveled.

ok...is this bad? Ya know, even with todays modern infrastructure, Reading isn't exactly suburbia. They're kind of an island down here. next closet corps besides C2 is about 2 hours away. Not exactly an easy way to travel up to Rachacha.

Look Westshore in 96 and 97 travelled all over the #### place. Where did it get us?

Dead.

THE DRUM CORPS GRAVE YARD .JUST LOOK AT CAROLINA GOLDS SHOW ,IT HAS THE TOMB STONES .

• Like 1

To the person who will remain NAME LESS please stop senting me any thing as I don't open them ,they just get deleted

Edited by Florida Sun

Now you mentioned that Jeff, they're in an odd spot on the PA road net. They've built two special roads off the turnpike to try and make them more accessible. Kind of odd to get even from Harrisburg to there. You either run I-78 and cut south, or come up from the Turnpike and get off one of two exits, or, take a zillion years and drive 422.

The really odd thing is, the first three all take about the same time depending on where you intend to go in Reading. Getting out of there is tricky for the same reasons- If they leave from Twin Valley, they're kind of close to the Pike. If they leave from the airport, kinda close to 78....

its been 28 years since my last visit there - sounds about right. the show went on despite an insane storm and reported funnel cloud overhead.

I grew up there, John (I also tell people I am from Pittsburgh and NOT from there...), the show in part got me involved in the activity. Spent most of June convalescing there with my Parents. Not much has changed except for a Wal-Mart, a craft brewery, and the school system re-consolidating after a failed attempt about 40 years ago.

The one good piece of news is that reconsolidation has strengthened the Instrumental Music program to almost what it was in the late '70's. Most folks though wish the football team would be more successful. :satisfied:

• Like 1

Yea Jeff ,and wasn't it Rochester that went belly up .Sold off every thing trying to pay long over due bills .

see you have no idea what your talking about. that is not why rochester folded. try again.

see you have no idea what your talking about. that is not why rochester folded. try again.

regardless of the reason Don, they had to travel to get places. It ain't cheap. So Bucs have historically picked and chosen their spots. Given their record in DCA since 1965...missing finals only twice, more wins than anyone else, tons of top 3 placements...I'd say it's worked out for them.

• Like 1

regardless of the reason Don, they had to travel to get places. It ain't cheap. So Bucs have historically picked and chosen their spots. Given their record in DCA since 1965...missing finals only twice, more wins than anyone else, tons of top 3 placements...I'd say it's worked out for them.

ya got me there jeff.

When corps ,and i'll use Reading for now since they have the best track record over the last 10 years .Do they still get bus money in advance from a show . I know we Sunrisers did back in 82,and 83 .Back then there was money for winning ,and I also asked for moneys to cover the buses.When a show wanted you in there show you worked out the deal for the contract .Do corps still do that ?????

At least from my experience from '79 to '84, it was unusual when we did not see the Bucs or Crusaders. Of the 15 shows we did in '79 for instance, The Bucs were at 14 of them and did 3 more that we did not. In all fairness, the Crusaders got off to a late start that season, but we competed against them 12 of the 14 times they were out. The Bucs, Westshore, Crusaders, and Thunderbirds tended to be grouped up for the shows out in the "Western" areas. Some long drives for every one of the corps involved, and they're all fairly separated distance-wise from one another, closest Erie to Rochester, about 2 and a half hours.

Big difference now from doing 14-17 contests versus say, 8 -10ish, and that's counting Prelims and Finals. Also a big difference in gas prices!