DCI West - Stanford, CA

I really enjoyed BK... their Visual design might be their achilles heel this year, despite the good use of color throughout, and some real nice musical arrangements.

We'll see tonight but honestly I love the drill and the vis package.... It's a bit of old and new.

It's 2014.... Narration helps tell the story. Drum Corps has evolved.. People we dont march with tympani anymore. Get use to Narration.

I've been listening to narration in marching band shows since 1985. So that idea has been around for a very long time in the marching arts.

I'm pretty sure lots of people are USED to narration. It's not new. It's not innovative. Often it's vapid, preachy, and asinine.

While they didn't march with tympani's anymore when I marched and I agree that they're not really a good idea to march with, naming one silly idea to justify another silly idea isn't productive either. Silly rabbit.

• Like 4

I'm waiting for a corps' narration to be all about what they are doing and why at that point in the show.

"Now we're going to play a run of 16th notes up and down all the voices because that helps us in Box <x> on the sheets"

"Now watch as the horns do unnecessary and low-quality body movement and dance to enhance the GE score"

"Here comes the mandatory solo dancer"

We'll call the show...

LITERAL

• Like 1

I'm a sucker for music with extended melodies and hummable music... and Crossmen has that in spades this year.... what a wonderful ballad from them this year.

• Like 2

Got to give Crossmen props for making the "sacrifice" to come out west this seasons (a sacrifice the west coast corps make every year, I'll add). Really wish DCI would do a real national tour. I understand that it is difficult for some of the less lucrative corps, but there is no excuse for the top corps not to do it.

• Like 3

It's 2014. Narration helps tell the story. Drum corps has evolved. People we don't march with tympani anymore. Get used to narration.

1. Drum corps is not really a storytelling medium, and generally shouldn't try to tell stories. (Crown 2013 is an exception that is rarely going to be matched.) Even the rather excessive narration in BK's show amounts to a couple paragraphs at most--that's not much of a story.

2. You say "evolved"; I say "changed". If drum corps aren't using narration very much in five years, would you say that drum corps has evolved past narration? Does anyone seriously believe that the Blue Devils evolved from "The SummerTrain Blues Mix" to "Dance Derby of the Century"? Does this year's Cavaliers' show demonstrate that drum corps has evolved to a point where pit instruments in fact are going to be marched around the field again?

• Like 3

I'm a sucker for music with extended melodies and hummable music... and Crossmen has that in spades this year.... what a wonderful ballad from them this year.

Chuck Naffier.

Yes, this music is great!

• Like 2