DCI West - Stanford, CA

How many lines have only lost 4 shows in 5 years?

None of them?

Went to a fight and a drum corps conversation broke out.

You described DCP.

• Like 2

That would be BDB, and that would be in Open Class.

So it is! I automatically assume World in the World forum. :tounge2:

How many lines have only lost 4 shows in 5 years? Who's your drumline daddy? Beeeotch!

you know who! ;-)

Yes, it looks to me that SCV is going to drum themselves into 4th place or 5th place again this season.

Same as it ever was.

Edited by BRASSO

But

1) what BD does they do INCREDIBLY clean. Their form development from a precision standpoint is REALLY well done, the form control, interval control, etc. are all done awesomely. Their technique is near impeccable. And of course their guard is amazing. So from a performance standpoint they perform incredibly proficient

Agreed.

2) what they do from a design stand-poing is very effective. It's not always super difficult, but it almost always super effective.

This is debatable and very subjective. I, personally, don't care for it. Some do, and that's their opinion. Regarding difficulty, that's where my beef is I suppose. Give a lot of corps the same drill and they'll perform the heck out of it, but that would be boring. Every corps has a unique identity, and BD is known for having drill that is not as difficult (my opinion, again). Rewarding that design w/ higher comp scores is where I scratch my head. Really though, all judging in an art form is subjective and kinda hard to quantify.

3) sometimes 150 people marching incredibly well make difficult stuff look easy because they do their thing really well. Conversely 150 people doing easier stuff poorly make easier stuff look difficult because of the sloppy performance

Yes. This sounds right. That would be the achievement scores, not composition - which is what I'm getting after... I think.

Other corps beat Blue Devils (or achieve at a high rate) by performing incredibly well. SCV placed 4th last year with a more easily attainable design than past years (and this year) because, well, they easily attained the visual program.

Ok, gotcha.

I guess to me the only thing that makes me more sick than rewarding BD in Vis/GE categories for performing the snot out of effective books are people whining that corps who are dirtier can't beat a corps that is cleaner.

Welcome to DCP.

#justsayin

#troll.

So your contention is that Blue Devils should score lower in content because you feel their design is not "as difficult" as others, nor as effective? I'm sure you've read the DCI sheets that are out there, but difficulty is not a huge part of the Content sub-captions; in fact "difficulty" is not on the Effect content sub at all. Looking at the verbiage on the sheets, I think one would be very hard pressed to say that BD lacks

* engagement (that would be the most argumentative and I'm sure plenty on DCP will jump in disagreeing that BD visual design is engaging to them personally and will maybe even go on to include "many" or "most" audience members as not being engaged)

* audio/visual coordination

* interpretation of music

* variety of effects

* creativity, artistry, originality, etc.

The Vis. captions deal with stuff like "simultaneous responsibility," "depth of design elements" "range of expressive components," etc. which I guess you could argue is "difficulty." But I think there are also other ways to interoperate those things, and again I think it would be difficult to say that BD doesn't commonly max-out those elements better than most corps.

The troll comment is fair, and I'll fess up to it; seeing homers rail on corps that beat their team always induces eye-rolling from me, especially when it's pretty obvious the current disparity between the two corps. Everyone hates the consistent winners, and I get that & LOVE when someone else is in the mix contending and winning. I don't think I have a favorite corps that is my go-to/die-hard favorite consistently, but SCV is by far the closest. I always find stuff to love in their shows, and even loved their 1993 and 2005 shows - warts and all. The world is a better place when SCV is banging on the Champions' door and competing at the top of their game, and I hope they get to that point this year. If nothing else, I will always love SCV Jonz and this year is a GREAT year for that caption!

Wish they would make an app. I subscribe to the Berlin Philharmonic's Digital Concert Hall and it works amazingly on my smart TV and Bluray player. Its probably cost prohibitive for DCI to develop something like that on their own, but I wonder if there is something out there they could license. Would be great to access stuff directly through my Roku.

I agree, but even with Samsung, they have their TV apps like Netflix, HBOGo, that work for some versions of their TVs, but not other versions. Even the screen sharing is different on different versions.

GoogleTV was an attempt to unify this a bit, but looks like only Sony bit. Maybe Chromecast would work on TVs with USB ports, but that would be hit and miss too.

We just need more time for these things to get worked out.

Even apps like EpixHD work on some consoles and TVs, but not others. The TV market is just too fragmented. Best bet is apple TV or Samsung with Allshare using your phone or tablet as the thing that gets FN and sends the image to the TV. Other really good option is using a laptop and connecting to TV via HDMI. People can try using their console browsers too. I think PS4, Xbox, and WiiU could potentially work that way. I've tried the PS4 with FN and I think that works, but I haven't the WiiU or Xbox.

So your contention is that Blue Devils should score lower in content because you feel their design is not "as difficult" as others, nor as effective? I'm sure you've read the DCI sheets that are out there, but difficulty is not a huge part of the Content sub-captions; in fact "difficulty" is not on the Effect content sub at all. Looking at the verbiage on the sheets, I think one would be very hard pressed to say that BD lacks

* engagement (that would be the most argumentative and I'm sure plenty on DCP will jump in disagreeing that BD visual design is engaging to them personally and will maybe even go on to include "many" or "most" audience members as not being engaged)

* audio/visual coordination

* interpretation of music

* variety of effects

* creativity, artistry, originality, etc.

The Vis. captions deal with stuff like "simultaneous responsibility," "depth of design elements" "range of expressive components," etc. which I guess you could argue is "difficulty." But I think there are also other ways to interoperate those things, and again I think it would be difficult to say that BD doesn't commonly max-out those elements better than most corps.

The troll comment is fair, and I'll fess up to it; seeing homers rail on corps that beat their team always induces eye-rolling from me, especially when it's pretty obvious the current disparity between the two corps. Everyone hates the consistent winners, and I get that & LOVE when someone else is in the mix contending and winning. I don't think I have a favorite corps that is my go-to/die-hard favorite consistently, but SCV is by far the closest. I always find stuff to love in their shows, and even loved their 1993 and 2005 shows - warts and all. The world is a better place when SCV is banging on the Champions' door and competing at the top of their game, and I hope they get to that point this year. If nothing else, I will always love SCV Jonz and this year is a GREAT year for that caption!

Dude, BD totally deserved to win. No question about it. SCV was dirty as all get out, and honestly, most of my comments stopped being about SCV and the point spread pretty quickly...

As soon as we blink, the sheets will change again - thus is the activity. You're not wrong, but I still don't quite get it. I just don't agree with the whole thing (and I'm not alone either - lot's of people don't). But it is what it is.

And as much as I'm a homer, I'll call it like it is. We've been less then stellar in the past, and it's been far too long since we've been competitive. I so badly want this show in particular to be amazing. We were a big fan fav in '04, and I want that AND to be a judge fav in '14... They're going to need some oxyclean, but it's still June.

It's fun trading barbs on here. We're all a passionate bunch, and I don't ever mean anything personally on here... #JustSayin :cool:

Edited by SCVsopAaron
  • Like 2