Can it be

Oof this topic just gave me cancer. As someone pointed out before, WGI has huge growth so clearly they're doing something right. I would give my full heated opinion about how absurd I think this topic is, but it is probably not worth the effort.

• Like 1

90% of drum corps are playing classical/symphonic music. That isn't what I call variety. It's quote boring actually.

If drum corps stops playing classical and symphonic music I'm outta here. That's the best part!

Edited by luv4corps

Other that Scouts, it is a real stretch to call your list "diversified". Part of the problem is that the guys arranging brass charts arrange everything in a similar fashion as opposed to arranging a song true to its original form. This is one of the issues that I have with Smiths Scouts arrangements as well as most arrangers. Songs are way too chopped up & their is just too much deviation from the original tune for my tastes. Too much deviation, too many notes, too much dissonance, too dark.

Well its true. Arrangers arrange things they are more familiar with.

What I am trying to say is that the arrangement of don ellis that the scouts do would be different than the arrangement than an arrangement that the Blue Devils would do, for example.

Apart from a few pieces, or composers, the corps are using different music. And even when corps use the same music, the arrangers make everything "theirs".

And the music is just a part of the whole show.

Edited by Cleveland1

I went to the show at Stanford and I love what BD, SCV and the Crossmen are offering this year. (BK may grow on me) Things evolve.

The fact that their are balance issues with the amplification is hardly subjective. When a 70 member horn-line is drowned out by a single over amplified xylophone should be not be issue at this point nor just my personal opinion.

Xylophones do not require amplification. They are very loud. Other keyboards are mic'd though.

I went to the show at Stanford and I love what BD, SCV and the Crossmen are offering this year. (BK may grow on me) Things evolve.

Things change. Sometimes for good, other times not.

Things change. Sometimes for good, other times not.

unfortunately that will always be up to debate considering a good and bad change is completely subjective.

If drum corps stops playing classical and symphonic music I'm outta here. That's the best part!

And jazz! We've got several corps bringing jazz back into the mix!

Xylophones do not require amplification. They are very loud. Other keyboards are mic'd though.

Some corps don't even HAVE xylos this year! But then they compensate by overplaying in the top register of the marimba.

• 3 weeks later...