Bayonne Tournament Of Champions

Thank you for a wonderful review!!

Truman, a great review and wonderful photos, as always from you!!!!

So glad you got to see your kids perform with the Cabs... that is so cool!!!

• Like 1

Fraber said: "I have to say (WAY, WAY BITD), Moe Knox had taken a picture of a horn player holding his pants up - with one hand - AND try to play his horn (Valve/Rotor or just valve?). I played a few shows with a broken left shoulder and had to use a padded snare stick to prop up my right arm and play. I tied a string to the rotor and my thumb so I could play. The crazy things we do for this hobby!! If you told a psychiatrist what we willingly put our bodies thru, AND we pay for the priviledge, they would bring out the special white jackets.

GOD, I love this hobby!!".....

.....and (except for the last five words) I DISAGREE. What you describe is absolutely 100% normal well-adjusted behavior. It's what separates us from those sociopaths who hurt other people. Put your body through that and go to work or school Monday whistling a tune......

GOD, I love this therapy !

• Like 1

-Always a pleasure to read and see your pics. Takes a lot of time and effort to set all of that up.

As for the "wardrobe malfunction", Mel Stratton years ago categorized two types of errors.

1: Act of God. Person marched backwards into a chuckhole on the field and goes down. Wind gust carries a rifle off. He was really emphatic when he was talking about things like that that he never, ever worried about those kinds of things.

2: Act of Omission/not focused mistake: Those, we all know about. Those, he worried about.

Your daughter falls into Category 1- No harm, no foul- those who know realize those kinds of things and understand.

As for old war stories about stuff like that, I remember there was a pretty famous pic of some kid in Spirit in the late 70's early 80's whose pants went down around his knees during a show. There was a fellow in Bucs who I will not name names because the person's a good guy, in the early 80's who forgot his pants, they literally made a pair of pants for him out of hefty bags and electrical tape and he did the show in those. no one was the wiser in the stands until we found out afterwards. We all had a good laugh and a beer over that one.

Now it gets personal. '81 DCA Finals, my cape got tangled into my legs when we spun and went down on our knees during Spanish Dreams". I go to get up, the way the capes were attached, the calf-length cape pulled at me backwards around my calves and knees and I nearly went down in a Three Stooges pratfall onto my back, but I seriously stumbled back, recovered, and yelled "SunuvaXXXch!!!!" when I got to attention- heat of the moment, it just came the heck out. Everyone around me in the corps gasped, a couple of folks were worried about a penalty, but nothing came out of it and it didn't get on the recording for which I am thankful. :satisfied: Act of God stuff out of the blue happens, it's OKAY. It's part of the activity. Tell her not to worry. It'll make for a good war story years down the road. :cool:

• Like 2

Act of God stuff out of the blue happens, it's OKAY. It's part of the activity. Tell her not to worry. It'll make for a good war story years down the road. :cool:

On the money, W. Stuff does tend to happen, and there is nothing we can do about it.

At the Gloversville DCA show in 1979... on a warm, humid June night... my eyeglasses fogged up early in our show and never un-fogged. LOL. I pretty much could not see anything in front of me the rest of the performance.

I'm still not sure how... or if.... I did my drill that night!!! :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

On the money, W. Stuff does tend to happen, and there is nothing we can do about it.

At the Gloversville DCA show in 1979... on a warm, humid June night... my eyeglasses fogged up early in our show and never un-fogged. LOL. I pretty much could not see anything in front of me the rest of the performance.

I'm still not sure how... or if.... I did my drill that night!!! :tongue:

Sunrisers did an exhibition the night before 1975 finals, somewhere in Canada on a non-standard, barely lit field.

Using my standard level of marching prowess I charged forward in a company front, only to have my groin impacted by a metal thing sticking out of the ground, maybe a raised sprinkler thingie - Hey I liked marching with my eyes closed...

It still hurts.

Things happen.

• Like 1

Some great stories guys...thanks! Or as my daughter might say: "cool story bro" :tounge2:

As a little follow up, this weekend in Bridgeport, she about tore the satin to shreds ripping it off in record time! And...she, and the Cabs, had an awesome run!

• Like 3

Some great stories guys...thanks! Or as my daughter might say: "cool story bro" :tounge2:

As a little follow up, this weekend in Bridgeport, she about tore the satin to shreds ripping it off in record time! And...she, and the Cabs, had an awesome run!

Tell her not to tear too hard on that...

That could go as badly as not getting it off...

Worse even...