Blue Knights 2014 - "That One Second"

BK blew me away last night. I've lost two grandparents recently and it really hit me in the heart. Most intimate experience I've had watching a drum corps. The dialog leading into the closer.....just wow. My dad had a very similar reaction losing is dad a few years ago. I've never felt that way about a show before. Such a moving show.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Thanks 1

I hadn't said much on here about the emotional response because I know people will say I'm a homer, but from day one of hearing this show its gotten to me too. I lost my dad just a few months ago and his last moments in his life was spent with us and his newborn grandson. (at the time) That one second is not a second at all.... It lasts an eternity. I know now my dad was supposed to meet his grandson and see who would continue our family name. I'm greatful to BK to give such a meaningful show to the audience but most of all, it's beautiful and emotional beyond words

• Like 2

I still can't get over how much this show affected me last night. I've always preferred more subdued, emotionally charged shows over the more aggressive, in-your-face types of shows, and this one delivered on every level. Visually, those white and blue hues popping off the field were complementary in every way. It was surreal, and I can't wait to see them come finals. For some reason, the term bittersweet comes to mind, simply because I feel like an emotional wreck at the end of the show but truly enjoy every minute of it.

This is the type of show that I've always imagined would be an amazing age-out show. These members give so much to the activity, and each one of them deserves to have a show where they can listen to it ten years from now and truly feel such a strong emotional connection with those memories. Placement truly won't matter at the end of the day.

At one point in the show, the narrator mentions that we probably don't know what she's talking about... while the members are enjoying their summer now, they'll be looking back on this show years from now when their lives have completely changed, realize how quickly your life goes by, and be thankful for having had that one amazing summer on the field performing a show with such a profound meaning. And they'll finally understand.

Edited by Musicman1084
  • Like 1

BK is definitely working hard this year and will be a force to contend with at Finals. Beating Phantom Regiment...probably not. But going toe to toe with Cavaliers is certainly a possibility.

I absolutely LOVED Blue Knights at Mile High last night. I had seem them in Ogden a few days before and liked it, but the ending didnt' click for me. Last night, that was fixed in spades. This is a haunting, beautiful show that stays with you. The music is lush, emotional and fantastic, and the entire visual production compliments it so well - including the uniforms. Bravo, BK. This show is rapidly rising to the level of esteem I hold BK's shows in 2006 and 2007 at, and it can surpass it. I can't wait to see this show again in Texas.

Harvey

• Like 3

BK is definitely working hard this year and will be a force to contend with at Finals. Beating Phantom Regiment...probably not. But going toe to toe with Cavaliers is certainly a possibility.

Cavaliers are currently beating Phantom so it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

• Like 1

As much as I LOVE the show this year, The Cavaliers are much more likely to catch Bluecoats than BK catching The Cavaliers. Especially after seeing the scores tonight (and as much as I personally disagree).

They can beat Phantom though. And depending how good BAC can get (or not get), 7th is not out of the equation for BK.

I hadn't said much on here about the emotional response because I know people will say I'm a homer, but from day one of hearing this show its gotten to me too. I lost my dad just a few months ago and his last moments in his life was spent with us and his newborn grandson. (at the time) That one second is not a second at all.... It lasts an eternity. I know now my dad was supposed to meet his grandson and see who would continue our family name. I'm greatful to BK to give such a meaningful show to the audience but most of all, it's beautiful and emotional beyond words

That is a great story, Wes.... My grandma died last October....I love all my family--but I was always closest to her....Normally, I do not get teary during narration, but in the show when she talks about her grandma's hands feeling thin like paper..it is haunting for me.... I remember a lot of things about her, and one of them was how when I would come home to visit she would sit and talk with me and hold my hand. I have all those "one seconds" forever. She was 96, I am 46, so I have a lot of them.