TOC- THE exSIGHTment OF SOUND; Houston, TX

Yea... I thought that was a bit odd.

Don't they all each skip one TOC show and get subbed out by a non-TOC corps?

Yup!

Except for the reigning champs, Crown.

Is the group membership of the TOC corps consistent or can it change if a corps ends up in a lower position than 7th place?

Edit: I've answered my own question. It won't change.

Edited by Lincoln

Is the group membership of the TOC corps consistent or can it change if a corps ends up in a lower position than 7th place?

Edit: I've answered my own question. It won't change.

It's not clear. At the time of the aborted G7 putsch in 2010, their Powerpointed plans indicated that while no corps could fall out of the top tier, any corps that finished eighth or better for three years running would be elevated to permanent elite status. The Blue Stars then had their third consecutive year at eighth place (with a record score in 2010), performed in the new eight-corps "Tour of Champions" series in the following summer, finished the year at eleventh, and were not in the ToC the next year. So much for permanence. Meanwhile, even though Cavaliers finished eighth to Boston's seventh in 2012 (and Boston did appear in the eight-corps ToC shows in that year), t was Cavaliers not Boston who appeared in the reduced seven-corps ToC for 2013. Maybe that explains Boston's show this year! Or maybe not. This year looks like a step in the right direction. And if a one-time G7 corps were to be trounced for more than one year, who knows if the others would turn on them in the end.

• Like 1

It's not clear. At the time of the aborted G7 putsch in 2010, their Powerpointed plans indicated that while no corps could fall out of the top tier, any corps that finished eighth or better for three years running would be elevated to permanent elite status.

Most everything related to the original G7 document is dead letter. The TOC shows go on because DCI makes a cut, and they're smart enough to know where their bread is buttered. Having a regional player in the mix with a G7 corps stepping out is good politics on the 7's part, and good fortune for the invited guest, since they can use it to help drive recruitment in their region.

It's not clear. ... This year looks like a step in the right direction.

The TOC shows go on because DCI makes a cut, and they're smart enough to know where their bread is buttered. Having a regional player in the mix with a G7 corps stepping out is good politics on the 7's part, and good fortune for the invited guest, since they can use it to help drive recruitment in their region.

I agree, for the most part, although that doesn't answer Lincoln's question: can one of the se7en ever fall out of the ToC? (Or can anyone else ever be made a "permanent" member?) Also, this year there seems to be no consistent connection between the "regional" ToC corps and the region in which they appear. Spirit in Charlotte and Stars in Dekalb, to be sure, but why Knights in Houston, Crossmen in Massillon, and Troopers in Buffalo? Not saying it's particularly important; just pondering.

I agree, for the most part, although that doesn't answer Lincoln's question: can one of the se7en ever fall out of the ToC? (Or can anyone else ever be made a "permanent" member?) Also, this year there seems to be no consistent connection between the "regional" ToC corps and the region in which they appear. Spirit in Charlotte and Stars in Dekalb, to be sure, but why Knights in Houston, Crossmen in Massillon, and Troopers in Buffalo? Not saying it's particularly important; just pondering.

Not sure about the others, but BK recruits A LOT in Texas.