Tone down the scale of Props!

Well not all solos use microphones.

Not all corps use narration, voice over, or singing.

Unless you want to chalk these under the "electronics" thing. as an umbrella for all things made possible because DCI allows electronics.

OK, should have added within 5-10 years as the mics are pretty new. As for narration and singing they are not tangible items which is what I was thinking of. LOL first singing on the field I saw was mid 1980s whan my old corps sang the first part of their final number ("Music"). I didn't like but had to give it a "golf clap" as it was my corps..... And even my ex-Alumni corps has gotten into it the last couple of years with "Men Of Harlech".

Edit: After seeing Georges pic of the hampster.... Do doves being released count as props? In that case my old (competing) corps did that at 1980 DCA Finals. All the doves were released but not all flew away.... oooops.... Still talked about at times but not for infamous (not famous) reasons.

Pretty much agree with everything you posted, just wanted to make myself clearer.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Crown posted on their blog that they spent parts of several practices working on the logistics of getting their props in and out of the field. Thats something that corps of yesteryear never had to consider. And its valuable time that could have been used to work on any area of their show

How they spend their time is their choice to make. They believe that the time needed is part of the overall time of perfecting their entire show. To them it is worth it.

• Like 3

Count me among those who think that props are mostly clutter. The old saying "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS" comes to mind. Well designed drill and music executed prefectly is what impresses me, and most props are just a distraction that I would rather not see on the field.

The designers must feel that props are necessary to win, which makes this old school fan sad..

• Like 3

Tone down the scale of the props? No,

(But yes, do enforce penalties. And definitely judge props based on their aesthetic fitness. Gracefulness should be rewarded. But I actually think GE ought to include how a corps enters and exits the field.)

• Like 1

SCV 13' Bluecoats 14', props enhanced the show.

The fur will fly when penalties are enforced.

The obvious objection for corps "A" is that corps "B" got in their way and they couldn't set up in time. How come corps "B" didn't get a penalty?

There will be plenty of finger pointing and accusations of "gaming" the system to force penaties on others. The real action will be in the parking lot where a truck may be slow clearing out of the way or some other creative activity.

If DCI decides to look the other way with regard to schedule enforcement, the corps will continue to push the boundaries. Mark my words, the gap between performances will increase "In the interest of artistic expression".

OP have you ever seen this happen? I've never heard of corps rotating in the parking lots. I've never seen once where anyone on DCP complained that there was no parking at a venue.

You cite the Cavaliers who have typically had one of the largest rolling fleets in the activity. I doubt that very many, if any, other corps have the number of vehicles they do.

There ARE timing penalties and they ARE enforced. If my memory is correct it's 17 or 18 minutes per corps (ie. 5ish minutes setup). Corps have a gate time and a show time. They're required to meet both.

Do you honestly believe the nonsense you are insinuating? That a corps would actively move their semis during a show to block another corps?

As I type this I'm starting to think you're not even being serious. When was the last time you went to a show?

• Like 1

I'm good with things the way they are. Corps still have an incentive to make good choices.

Besides, a rule against props would beg the question: what is a prop? And the answer would likely allow for creative workarounds. If you throw it in the air and catch it becomes guard equipment. If you hit it with a stick it becomes percussion. Stand on it and it is a podium...

• Like 1

I'm good with things the way they are. Corps still have an incentive to make good choices.

Besides, a rule against props would beg the question: what is a prop? And the answer would likely allow for creative workarounds. If you throw it in the air and catch it becomes guard equipment. If you hit it with a stick it becomes percussion. Stand on it and it is a podium...

Well the uniforms are becoming increasingly more prop-like.

BD cabaret Voltaire with their uniforms on the horses.

BAC with the RISE spelled in jackets.

And then the annual new uniforms for a lot of corps to reflect their show. or even simply a change in uniform during the show. BK plume change in Avian and Phantom uniform change this season being two examples.