Mini Corps won't be recorded this year.

Mini-corps absolutely should secure arranging and performing rights. That's a no-brainer. If they want to not pay them, they should write original music and perform that. I&E solo and ensembles generally perform music that already comes with performance rights, so the point is moot.

really?,.............I have heard stuff like Billy Joel, EWF, Queen, etc,.............that kinda stuff is definitely not in the public domain, and therefor not moot,.................

Actually, I am with you in that every performer, everywhere, should receive rights to arrange and perform,............my point is that with DCA arbitrarily deciding who does, and who does not need these permissions are breaking laws,.............the line was previously drawn where CD's and DVD"s were produced,.................which IMO was wise,.............now, not so much,........

I thought those rights were intended for recording purposes at mini corps. That was the impression I was under when I was in charge of getting them for Sky in '07. The way I always understood the laws is that you have to have the rights to perform the song for a paid performance (I.e. admission charged to the event) or if it is going to be recorded and sold. We were able to use the Sky Signature in 2005 for on field warmup without getting rights to it because it was not part of the performance that the fans paid for. Technicality I know. Since I and E is free to attend and there will be no recording, why would it be necessary? (Based on what I thought the laws were or what they actually were 7 years ago anyway.)

A small side note: If you play a solo, duet. whatever and are using stock sheet music like out of a Hal Leonard book, that is their publication and it is perfectly fine to perform without additional rights. That's what all of that copyright stuff is for at the bottom of the page.

I thought those rights were intended for recording purposes at mini corps. That was the impression I was under when I was in charge of getting them for Sky in '07. The way I always understood the laws is that you have to have the rights to perform the song for a paid performance (I.e. admission charged to the event) or if it is going to be recorded and sold.

There are essentially three types of copyright in play here. Arranging rights, performance rights, and recording rights (an additional copyright, digital streaming/media rights isn't in play, since minis aren't on the Fan Network). The group doing the arranging and performing is responsible for the first two, while the company creating and selling the recording is responsible for recording/sales rights (and also for streaming via something like Fan Network or iTunes, which are not the same as rights required for a physical CD).

And, of course, that's just for audio. Video opens an entirely different can of worms, as you're now dealing with synchronization rights.

Edited by Kamarag

well, and this was asked earlier...was DCA losing money on the deal?

Jeff, I am sure they were,..............it should be understood that prior to DCA producing these products, mini corps simply paid the entry fee, and for the most part were affiliated with current of former DCA corps,...............in those days, competing forces would simply show up with a bunch of gear, record, and distribute bootleg audios,............presumably for profit.

It was at that point where DCA could not allow that to continue to happen, and decided to try to produce another CD to go along with the evolution of the DCA family of finals audios and videos,............It was at that time that mini corps were then required to get rights to arrange and perform, produce proof of insurance, etc. much like the corps competing on the field. Some mini corps at the time saw the value in the professionally produced products (and the costs that came with it), some did not. In exchange for acceptance of the higher overall profile, the additional costs were incurred by the corps themselves, with an understanding of a sort of profit sharing similar to what the field corps enjoy with the audio and video sales. There were never any profits to share, as sales never really took off..................which is what I think gets us to where we are today,....................

Funny (not funny ha ha) how just a few years ago DCA was talking about limiting the number of mini corps they would allow in and now it seems they are having a hard time getting enough corps on board to even fill a night of entertainment.

It seems like to me there is not enough interest in the mini corps venue to make the recording profitable or at least break even. I think this is more about money than anything.

Mini-corps can be cool, that much is certain. But for me, the whole allure of the event was the live performances, the crowd, and yes, the beer. I can understand members of the mini corps wanting recordings, but who else was going to buy them? The groups are better off recording themselves.

I can see where a completest might want recordings, but I suspect they're in the minority...much like the Greatfull Dead fan who collects live bootlegs.

"I have every bootleg from every Dead show they played!"

Oh yea, how often do you listen to them?

"Uh, never?"

Edited by Kamarag

I think DCA saw all they did with mini corps was a way to expanding the circuit by finding ways to incorporate smaller units wanting to compete...............some think they went to far,............some think they didn't go far enough,...................

It certainly is not a place for a bunch of loosely knit folks anymore,.................

I think DCA saw all they did with mini corps was a way to expanding the circuit by finding ways to incorporate smaller units wanting to compete...............some think they went to far,............some think they didn't go far enough,...................

It certainly is not a place for a bunch of loosely knit folks anymore,.................

I was thinking also of starter units or corps trying to get back on their feet. Seemed like the entry fee and the mess getting all the legalities made things get serious. And the first year at Annapolis mugged things up as hard to catch all the musical details when you are that far away from the corps.

LOL - first year at Rochester we shared the breakfast buffet with Derby City Mini a few mornings. Listening to them was one of the high points of the trip, too bad they never got too far.