Mini Corps won't be recorded this year.

Looks like the mini-corps show is going to be at that historic theater in town which is now a concert venue.

I think my wife Barbara went to a show there, 2004-05 or so. It looks great.

Yea, I saw the post about an hour after I wrote here. The place looks amazing. hands down DCA Mini Corps' best venue.

Mini corps never did acquire the sync or mechanical rights, so this will not result in savings to the individual corps,......it will save the recording company time and money tho, since they don't have to do the task of recording,..............which begs the question: if DCA is not going to produce the audio or DVD, what is the purpose of the mini corps getting the rights to arrange and perform their book, when other individuals and ensembles are not required to do so?

for public performance of someone else's music, you have to pay that original composer. or you could take that gamble, and if someone (artists' representation or publisher) sees a video of your group performing their piece, i would expect you to see a summons arriving soon. performing a solo of public domain material without the rest of the accompaniment, not as likely to be recorded and shown. but more recorded for personal use.

I was involved in the clearance for DCA corps, drafted most of the paperwork you are probably using, and I currently help deal with this issue for a large corps.

I am not speaking for anyone, nor about any specific situation.

But the question is not whether or not DCA mini corps need license X, Y or Z.

The question has always been - do you want to treat DCA as a professional entertainment industry activity? Or, legally speaking, is it the mom and pop wild west show (no offense).

Because if a drum corps organization is going to be famous, going to get lots of publicity - the rights acquisition becomes mission critical, because the likelihood of getting sued for stealing someone copyright goes way up. You have no idea how much time and effort we have spent on dealing with this issue for the reality television show that comes out in October. This is the stage where teams of lawyers review everything before a show airs. Something like an arrangement license missing can kill a television show about a music group (literally). So, if DCA has plans for mainstream expansion, then DCA absolutely must have its act together legally, and I am sure they do. If DCA will remain small, unknown - then you might get away without having the rights for the music you play, because no one will care. I don't say that as sarcasm, it's the reality of the economic basis for copyright actions.

really?,.............I have heard stuff like Billy Joel, EWF, Queen, etc,.............that kinda stuff is definitely not in the public domain, and therefor not moot,.................

Actually, I am with you in that every performer, everywhere, should receive rights to arrange and perform,............my point is that with DCA arbitrarily deciding who does, and who does not need these permissions are breaking laws,.............the line was previously drawn where CD's and DVD"s were produced,.................which IMO was wise,.............now, not so much,........

• Like 2

One unfortunate fact I might add about licensing rights -- there is not one drum corps in DCA, nor DCA itself, that would remain standing after a successful copyright infringement lawsuit against it. Legally, it's like running across a highway. - we'll be fine - or we won't. But 'won't' is really bad.

So, one can ignore legal risk in licensing, and probably be OK - but if you're wrong, the stakes are very high - it is literally, the bankruptcy and/or existence of your corps on the line. This is not legal advice to anyone, I'm not trying to be the know it all lawyer in DCP, I do not represent DCA anymore. I just want people to understand -- yes, the legal burden on mini corps and other groups, may have seemed like a pain to deal with for one performance - but those rules came from federal law, not random DCA rules to hassle everybody.

With respect -

Lee

Edited by drumlaw80
  • Like 2

Just for the record, I wish to point out that this thread was actually started two years ago.

(Though certainly some of the more recent comments are interesting.)

• Like 2

Again, much of this is an unfortunate side effect of the loss of the huge amounts of money the Recording Industry raked in before downloading became the thing to do.

I've taken a couple of superb Music Marketing classes and this was one of the main themes within both. When money was easy to come by and coming by the Supertanker loads, the recording industry really didn't care.

Revenues dried up. They became rather desperate. I don't have the time to try and search for an article written by U2's Agent/Manager that basically said this:

Recording industry revenues dried up, and the roughly equivalent amount of money went to Internet providers. Since this is effectively their fault- therefore, they should be effectively taxed and this money should go right back into the recording industry. We all know that didn't happen.

It's also why groups tour a lot more now. That's where the money is now. No one's making any real money off of residuals from say, Pandora or from Radio play, broadcast, satellite, or internet like they evidently used to.

They're going to make their money where they can make it.

Lee's point is well-taken. I recall reading the Tresona statement regarding DCI and getting the synch rights, etc.. In fact I discussed this with Fran and some other great folks after the contest over dinner.

They said in a nutshell, while they were fully aware that DCI organizations are non-profit.... they all have a 500+K USD annual budget, and that indeed, that's a fair amount of money being dealt around, and yes, they felt they were entitled to their cut.

The problem is, DCA corps aren't at that level, nor are they Mom and Pop groups flying under the radar. This makes it all pretty tough. :satisfied: