Brass instruments rule change 2014

SCV’s trombones were something else live, when they use them for the hit at the beginning. Could have just been the staging, but at Stanford that was the loudest, most drum-corps-sounding ensemble moment of the night.

• Like 1

Madison, massive fail with the trombone ensemble – like a muddy river of goo barfed out on the field…it started out fine as a solo and then turned into a crap fest..maybe it was a bad night or perhaps they have to re-think that and cut it to a solo, duet

At Akron, up high in the stands, yeah, they didn't come across very well. They stopped the show for a minute to insert this? And on the Fan Network you hear ALL the pitch problems. Like a boy scout helping a little old lady cross a street, Madison is trying to get a puny sound across a field. It ain't happening, even from down front. I knew it wouldn't work, and microphones won't help.

This is no tribute to Stan Kenton, and I don't think there's ever been a lamer opener in the history of DCI than that neutered arrangement of Fanfare For The New.

SCVs trombones were something else live, when they use them for the hit at the beginning. Could have just been the staging, but at Stanford that was the loudest, most drum-corps-sounding ensemble moment of the night.

Trombones are pretty good at playing super loud. I remember some BOA band swapping their baritones to trombones for some John Mackey piece a few years back. They definitely project better than baritones, but they sound really brassy and are a marching nightmare. I think SCV's use is probably the best we will see. Play really loud for a couple measures and then forget about them.

Do you subscribe to Fan Network ? If you do, you can determine this for yourself on its utilization in the shows of Corps that have elected the option this summer to utilize them.

You won't be able to see Spirit's trombone on the Fan Network until the East Coast Classic on June 29th.

I'm a French horn player and I don't want to hear French horn in a drum corps show. I don't understand. I'm finding I'm not excited about DCI at all this year, and this rule change is apparently part of it. The idea of trombones on the field depresses me. Oh well.

Yes. It's either acoustically produced natural sound or it isn't. Electronic amplification adds nothing but crap to the sound of an otherwise acoustic ensemble. You don't hear the difference? Well, OK. Maybe your extensive knowledge of brass quality lets you ignore square waves.

At this point, every corps has "something" amplified. Seems like it might make sense for you to step away from the activity. I on the other hand will greatly enjoy Cadets, Madison, and all other corps that have things miked.

Z

• Like 1

Yes. It's either acoustically produced natural sound or it isn't. Electronic amplification adds nothing but crap to the sound of an otherwise acoustic ensemble. You don't hear the difference? Well, OK. Maybe your extensive knowledge of brass quality lets you ignore square waves.

dragin, please accept some advice:

The electronics issue is (as Climate Change is) "settled science". This argument of yours doesn't have legs or feet. It's done. Let it go.

In today's designer's eyes, drum corps doesn't have to be analog to be good.

And fans are agreeing in increasing numbers as the crop of kids involved with drum corps rolls over every couple of years.

Most of today's performers don't remember when drum corps was not electric.

Most fans don't either.

• Like 1

At Akron, up high in the stands, yeah, they didn't come across very well. They stopped the show for a minute to insert this? And on the Fan Network you hear ALL the pitch problems. Like a boy scout helping a little old lady cross a street, Madison is trying to get a puny sound across a field. It ain't happening, even from down front. I knew it wouldn't work, and microphones won't help.

This is no tribute to Stan Kenton, and I don't think there's ever been a lamer opener in the history of DCI than that neutered arrangement of Fanfare For The New.

Wow, you came here to complain didn't you?

• Like 1

From the Rockford show

Blue Star, the mello sounded better, made the French horn sound weak, tinythey need to figure it out, didn't work

It's a flugelhorn and french horn. Not mello. Still working out the best way to mic and EQ on the board. This is what the early season and live sound reinforcement is all about.

At this point, every corps has "something" amplified. Seems like it might make sense for you to step away from the activity. I on the other hand will greatly enjoy Cadets, Madison, and all other corps that have things miked.

Z

Step away, hell, I'm running away from it. Did you enjoy Milli Vanilli, too?