Pittsburgh PA

Comparison for Bloo is better than it was in Akron... but the judges just don't seem too impressed with the composition and content. I would feel better if those scores were through the roof but the execution was down.

Also noticed that there must be no brass or percussion judges tonight.

Glad to see everybody diggin' the concept... just wish we could see a sparkle of that same enthusiasm in the judges. The 2 point total spread indicates that it isn't competitive. Generally anything outside of 2 points is not... anything within 2 is possible... and scores within .5 are actually competitive.

Would love to hear reviews for all the corps from anyone that was there!

That's not how this works! That's not how any of this works!

Competitive spreads are called by individual judges. The total score is just math. A tenth or two in a subcaption by an individual judge IS CLOSE and in that individual's opinion, is competitive.

• Like 1

2 things:

Through the years Deb Torchia has consistently given BAC higher scores then other judges have awarded. It also been an ongoing joke that Torchia awards the Cavaliers lower scores. As soon as I heard she was a judge I knew that this would once again be the case. Not sour grapes it's history, research it.

For those who are saying BAC closed the gap tonight by over 2 points on the Cavies must remember this was only partial panel. If you were to total the 3 categories not judged tonight but judged Saturday ( VP/brass/perc), cavies had a 2 point gap over BAC on Saturday. So realistically, BAC may have only gained .4 tonight.

We won't know the real gap in scores until we see a full panel again

That's not how this works! That's not how any of this works!

Competitive spreads are called by individual judges. The total score is just math. A tenth or two in a subcaption by an individual judge IS CLOSE and in that individual's opinion, is competitive.

:laughing::laughing:

I just watched that commercial.

• Like 1

Boston has a great guard and I love their visual show. It will take time for me to get the rest of the show but it's more my stupidity then Boston's show I'm sure.

Oh sure. But I'm just considering time. Cadets had a nice long preseason camp in Johnstown (as usual)... which is where I went to school actually... wish they were around there when I was a kid... would have been neat.

The Cadets (like BD) almost always comes out pretty clean (more than others) at the start of the season. I just don't see that any of the corps in the lineup tonight would be nearly as polished in only the end of the 1st week of shows. Maybe in 3 more weeks?... But the Cadets are going to have most of the captions in the bag in both comp. and perf. with more material written and more quality time to have rehearsed it.

Devils will be the same way. They always are.

• Like 1

Certainly not a pro-Cadets judging slate tonight. It must have given Debbie Torchia hives to put Cadets in first in visual analysis.

I know another corps who hasn't really been liked much by her. Does she tend to get more out of BD productions?

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

Boston scores over Bluecoats in visual composition?... does that make sense to those who have seen both shows?

Nope. Boston dead last in visual composition is more plausible. I thought their show was a visual train wreck with appropriate aural sound effects. The other bloggers mentioning the DTorchia seperated-from-reality effect are on to something. The beknighted Boston flacks (what DOES BAC stand for, anyway?) positing that their guard should have been much closer to or over Cavies have just been drinking their own cool-aid. Sal Adamo was being generous putting that hideous menagerie six tenths over Spirit.

Edited by PC
  • Like 1

I know another corps who hasn't really been liked much by her. Does she tend to get more out of BD productions?

Hmmm, bingo!

2 things:

Through the years Deb Torchia has consistently given BAC higher scores then other judges have awarded. It also been an ongoing joke that Torchia awards the Cavaliers lower scores. As soon as I heard she was a judge I knew that this would once again be the case. Not sour grapes it's history, research it.

For those who are saying BAC closed the gap tonight by over 2 points on the Cavies must remember this was only partial panel. If you were to total the 3 categories not judged tonight but judged Saturday ( VP/brass/perc), cavies had a 2 point gap over BAC on Saturday. So realistically, BAC may have only gained .4 tonight.

We won't know the real gap in scores until we see a full panel again

After the first regional we will all know where things stand much better...and the slotting thread can begin then...

Comparison for Bloo is better than it was in Akron... but the judges just don't seem too impressed with the composition and content. I would feel better if those scores were through the roof but the execution was down.

Also noticed that there must be no brass or percussion judges tonight.

Glad to see everybody diggin' the concept... just wish we could see a sparkle of that same enthusiasm in the judges. The 2 point total spread indicates that it isn't competitive. Generally anything outside of 2 points is not... anything within 2 is possible... and scores within .5 are actually competitive.

Would love to hear reviews for all the corps from anyone that was there!

Amazing to me how we can define a show as non-competitive because there is a 2 point spread 2 scores into the season with a short panel at a small show.