Pittsburgh PA

Brasso, are you talking recently or since the formation of DCI? Off the top of my head, I can think of Dave Bandy, Mike DeAngelo and Lloyd Pesola who all instructed and judged at one time.

While this might be true this year, this hasn't always been this way. I'm immediately thinking of Gary and Marie Czapinski and Tim Ochrane who marched, and/or taught as well as adjudicated in the past.

The idea of having judges with no previous drum corps experience has it's advantages. Aside from Torchia, can you name a current judge who is perceived to be more biased? A judging panel with less previous connectivity to the activity helps lessen scorer bias and the perception of slotting.

Brasso was being sarcastic.

Plenty of judges have corps staff experience. Some judge for a while and then go BACK to being on-staff somewhere.

• Like 1

Brasso, are you talking recently or since the formation of DCI? Off the top of my head, I can think of Dave Bandy, Mike DeAngelo and Lloyd Pesola who all instructed and judged at one time.

It was a joke.

Saucedo was at Cavaliers, judged, and now is at Blue Stars. BRASSO was being sarcastic. Took me a second to get it.

Attempt at sarcasm fails when you consider that most of the top judges go to pains to try and call things the way that they are that night. I don't know of anyone who considers Prosperie's opinion on a given show questionable in the least, because he's shown over the years that if you give him the performance, you'll get the number.

Torchia might as well go in with her sheets pre-filled, since if BD is there, they're going to win, and if Cavaliers are there, they're going to be placed uncharacteristically low. Her consistency as it pertains to specific organizations - over multiple years - makes her scoring at any show inherently questionable.

Every judge in DCI has a Corps or two that believes that judge is involved in a conspiracy to do that Corps in. It might be true, but its always balanced out by judges that in turn love that Corps. Jeff Prosperie ( that you brought up here ) is favorable to Phantom Regiment, and not so much to BD. When BD found that Prosperie was judging Finals in 2008, instead of Fugett, BD knew they had their hands full holding off Phantom Regiment ( where Prosperie marched and then later was on their staff ) Prosperie had BD 5th in drums at Finals in 2008.( Fugett, and Ulicny had BD 3rd in the Prelims ) So please spare me the pity scred, as its unbecoming as every Corps has judges predisposed to liking them and others not liking them. BAC has its judges too they'd rather not see on a panel given a choice. All Corps do. But so what ? You can't control the judging panels, and who knows, maybe the Cavs get 1 or 2 judges down the line later that has a picture of a Cavalier in uniform that they place under their pillow before they tuck themselves in at nite and shut the lights out.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

The show tonight should have been a bit closer. Cadets are also cleaner because, what they are being asked to do may not be as difficult as years past. They are cleaner /sooner because they should be their current composition with regards to drill and staging.... Also jot a full label may have closed thing up between 1 and 2. Not a popular statement but as Blue cleans, it will be more apparent unless Cadets add drastically. Things will be much closer sooner than many think.

Having said that - great show tonight! Great night and finally not a rain out!

What you are saying about the cadets composition would be reflected in the scores but they aren't. For example Cadets had a larger spread between their composition score and performance score in visual, guard, and music than the Bluecoats did. Aswell as still having higher overall numbers. If what you were saying were true there would be spreads of 1 or 0 between these two numbers or composition score would be lower than performance numbers but that is not the case.

Bluecoats actually had a few 1 point spreads between comp and performance in some camptions while cadets had a 2-3 point spread.

So, cadets are actually further away from outperforming their composition than Bluecoats are.

Edited by charlie1223

Nope. Boston dead last in visual composition is more plausible. I thought their show was a visual train wreck with appropriate aural sound effects. The other bloggers mentioning the DTorchia seperated-from-reality effect are on to something. The beknighted Boston flacks (what DOES BAC stand for, anyway?) positing that their guard should have been much closer to or over Cavies have just been drinking their own cool-aid. Sal Adamo was being generous putting that hideous menagerie six tenths over Spirit.

It's 'Kool -aid'. BAC stands for "Bring A Clutch"..of (you) pearl -clutchers. WGI over?

BAC's show and guard are awesome..kick it!

Sal Adamo...same thing :wow:

You still teaching? Didn't you teach at Boston..then diss the staff here on DCP?..You also, then spread rumours about their (then) current marching members a few years ago?? :wow::wow: "G U A R D L I N G"?

Interesting...I wonder if it's a coincidence that she lives in Boston...hmmm.

And? Marie Czapinski lives in Chicago ...Go Cavies!!

And there are #asscrowns everywhere!

Brat and beer and a good band!

What you are saying about the cadets composition would be reflected in the scores but they aren't. For example Cadets had a larger spread between their composition score and performance score in visual, guard, and music than the Bluecoats did. Aswell as still having higher overall numbers. If what you were saying were true there would be spreads of 1 or 0 between these two numbers or composition score would be lower than performance numbers but that is not the case.

Bluecoats actually had a few 1 point spreads between comp and performance in some camptions while cadets had a 2-3 point spread.

So, cadets are actually further away from outperforming their composition than Bluecoats are.

Now he ^ sees some of the things that concern me. The scores do so much talking. Personally, I think that 'coats comp scores should be higher, esp. GE. This would more reflect what all of us see. But until the judges see it... it isn't there.